Reception place waiting lists

8 posts
dinosaur
Options:
Share this post on:

Reception place waiting lists

Postby dinosaur » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Hello - we will be going through the process of applying for a reception place next year, and I just wondered if anyone might have some good stories to share about how things have worked out for them now that the new school year is about to start. I was following with interest the various threads in April / May when the school places were first allocated and would love to know how it all worked out for everyone, especially those who were in a panic at that time.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone about to start Alderbrook or Ravenstone as those are our nearest schools. Thanks! I hope the first day at school goes well for everyone this week.
ellesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Reception place waiting lists

Postby ellesmum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:56 pm

We're still in a panic :( My daughter started the school we didn't like today, but we're hoping a place comes up at another school within the next week. We started at 35th on the waiting list but are now down to 6th. Honeywell, Belleville & Allfarthing have gone up or down by one or two places, but nothing significant to make us hopeful!
Good luck! I'm finding the whole thing more stressful than my own school exams ever were...
dinosaur
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dinosaur » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Oh I really hope everything works out for you Ellesmum. I had heard that there is another significant shift in the waiting lists the very first week of school because apparently some parents are slow to let the school know that they won't be taking the place, and it is only when they don't show up that the school can then contact them to confirm that the space is available. Perhaps you will hear something soon - please keep us posted!
ellesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ellesmum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Thank you! I spoke to the council earlier, and apparently they've had another 2 verbal drop out notifications and they're awaiting written confirmation before moving us up the list. That will bring us up to 4th, which I hope will be close enough to be in with a chance over the next week. Then I have to hope another 2 drop out after that so that my daughter's friend, who is in a similar position, gets in too...
Will report back when things stabilise...
ellesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ellesmum » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:58 pm

We got offered a place today :) So we went from starting at 35th in April, to 6th by the start of term, to an offer 10 days in. This was for Swaffield. Our waiting list places for all the other schools (Belleville, Honeywell and Allfarthing) all started somewhere between 70 and 110...and I don't think they've moved at all! I think it's been one step forward, one step back with them! The only other school we had a lot of movement on was Earlsfield, but they added an extra class this year which was probably why.
We are so, so happy with what we have now though :)

dinosaur
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dinosaur » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 pm

That is great news! Best of luck next week. I'm really pleased everything worked out for you..
mumoftwoboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumoftwoboys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 am

Dear ellesmum

Congratulations on getting your place at Swaffield and enduring the stress of waiting lists! We are going to be applying for our little boy next year and I am already having major anxiety about it.

Can you please tell me what road you live on or how far from Swaffield you are. You can PM me if easier. We live on Earlsfield Road and I am worried that we are in no man's land when it comes to proximity of Swaffield and All Farthings. I know every year's catchment changes.

Thanks v much.
ellesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ellesmum » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm

We are 1300m away and got offered a place on 14th September. A friend who lives slightly further away got offered a place last week, so the list for Swaffield still appears to be moving.
As a side note, we are so, so happy with Swaffield - absolutely love it! What the OFSTED report says about it being a caring environment is so true - the teachers are wonderful, friendly and helpful, and Mrs Lilley is a kind, caring headmistress who gets involved with the children directly. We are so impressed by the school and are absolutely over the moon that our daughter got a place there. She loves it too, which is the main thing. The children all look after each other, the parents are lovely - I really can't recommend the school enough. We asked for our daughter's name to be removed from the waiting lists for Allfarthing, Belleville and Honeywell because we are that confident in the school being the right place for her. We're no longer interested in anywhere other than Swaffield :)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.