C - Section at St Georges

17 posts
n.harker
Options:
Share this post on:

C - Section at St Georges

Postby n.harker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Ladies

I have just found out that I will need a c - section for my first pregnancy. My midwife has told me I will only be in hospital for 24 hours if there are no complications. This has really shocked me as I thought I would be in there for at least 2-3 days as its major surgery.

Has anyone had a c - section at St Georges Hospital what was your experience like? and how long were you in hospital for?

I am really considering changing hospitals due to this.
1sttimenorthcotemum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: C - Section at St Georges

Postby 1sttimenorthcotemum » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:20 pm

I had a c section at Chelsea & Westminster last year and was allowed home 24 hours later as had no complications.

It was fine and I preferred being at home to being in a noisy hospital ward.
n.harker
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby n.harker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for your response 1sttimenorthcotemum.
AnnieH
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AnnieH » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I had a c-section at George's and was out the next day. They run a programme called enhanced recovery which aims to get you on your feet, everything having gone well, the evening of the op.

With a planned c-section I don't see why they would keep you in, it's only an emergency where your body has been under extra tea strain etc

As above, being at home is far better than being in hospital especially if you are in a shared ward.

At George's you can ask for a private room which they'll give you if available.
lolaloves
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lolaloves » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Wow this smacks of cost cutting! 24 hours!! I had a planned c section and there is no way I could have gone home, I spent 3 nights in and even that felt early.
It's major abdominal surgery! You can of
Course ask to stay longer.

n.harker
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby n.harker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies ladies.

Lolaloves can I please ask what hospital you went too? I asked if I can stay longer and was told a max of two days.
AnnieH
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AnnieH » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm not sure I agree with that as it's clinically proven that the sooner you get up and about the sooner your body recocers.

You can of course ask to stay but from my perspective I felt very much ready to go home and whilst I agree it did feel daunting before the op it made perfect sense when I was there and at no point did I feel that I was being rushed out the door.
lolaloves
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lolaloves » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 am

It was
St
Thomas's. I was also able to go home after 2 nights but I couldn't face the journey I was in a lot ofnpan and despite being up and moving as recommended my recovery was slow. Chances are you will be fine but if you don't feel safe or happy I doubt they can force you to leave. A private room is a great idea. Also be forceful about pain relief, they seemed to think paracetamol and nurofen was going to cut the mustard and I'm afraid it really didn't and I had to insist they get better pain relief sorted.
marylisramos
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby marylisramos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm

We were at Chelsea and Westminster - i think we were discharged at around the 24 hour mark as well. We spent one night in the ward and that was quite enough for us! =)

In hindsight it would have been good to stay a bit longer to get a bit more support with breastfeeding as that is usually a bit more difficult to establish after a C-section but in terms of the operation itself, recovery isn't that bad - you will have painkillers to take home with you and make sure your partner/hubby does all the heavy lifting =) If you don't have a car do take a taxi to make the journey home as easy as possible...

AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I doubt you would be asked to leave if you don't want to.

I had a planned c-section with my second at St Thomas' and whilst I was told that I was free to go the next day, it felt quite daunting because I had a toddler at home. When it came time for me to be discharged, the midwife could tell I was feeling a little overwhelmed and told me to stay as long as I wanted and so I stayed another 2 days!
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm

I had an emergency c section with my 3rd on the private side of C&W and originally was told most women stayed for 4 nights! I was more than ready to leave after 2 and discharged myself. The pain is maneagable with strong ibuprofen and rest, but you do feel quite incapacitated for a little while so it makes sense to line up help at home.
wl4321
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby wl4321 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 pm

I had an elective c section at Georges and it was a wonderful experience. I was discharged around 26 hours later-would have been earlier but there was a delay scab a test for my son.
I found out at 41 weeks I needed a section and whilst it was not what I'd planned, I'm so glad I had it. The staff were wonderful and the op itself just very exciting and smooth.
I only needed paracetamol and nurofen and barely felt my scar-I seem to have recovered more quickly than fri DNA who did a vaginal birth.
Even though I had a private room, much preferred being at home.
Can't fault Georges at all so I would recommend sticking with them.
lemonzest
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lemonzest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:51 pm

I had my second via planned c-section at St Thomas's. I was ready to go home the next day. Can't remember why they kept me in another night, but I was desperate to be back in my own bed. My experience with both children was that I was far, far, far more eager to go home than the medics were to send me - so I doubt you'll feel rushed out!!

Swlondonmum12345
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Swlondonmum12345 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 am

I had a c-section at St. Georges 5 years ago. All was great (staff etc). Policy has obviously changed as I had to stay in 3 days but would have loved to go home earlier. Post op recovery was fine, and I don't think I benefitted from the extra time in hospital.
EmilyShopped
Share this post on:

Postby EmilyShopped » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

I too had an emergency C-section at Kingston hospital nearly 7 yrs ago with my first child. I was allowed to discharge myself after 48 hours but would have been happy to go home after 24. It's such a personal thing though, I was up and about the morning after an evening delivery and only taking normal pain killers which apparently is good progress. As always I think probably if you're fit and healthy before and during pregnancy and there are no complications it will probably be easier for you. Either way, sooo exciting, best of luck! xx

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.