State kids going private. Parents in the PTA?

9 posts
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

State kids going private. Parents in the PTA?

Postby rooting4tooting » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 am

I'm not sure what to think here, so I hope to get some views.

Is it right that parents who intend to move their children from State to Independent primary schools have noted positions in PTAs (chair, secretary, treasurer etc) or be parent governors of state primary schools?
I do realise they will vacate their positions, but still
thanks!
NicQ
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: State kids going private. Parents in the PTA?

Postby NicQ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am

Not sure why it wouldn’t be ok? Grateful to anyone who gives up a significant amount of their spare time to help the school.
Esille
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Esille » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am

Same here. That shouldn't matter

Hopefully they have been hired into 'noted positions in PTA' for their skills and willingness to help out - not on what their future plans may or may not be..
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am

:shock:
Why should itmatter?

Why are some people so upset about other people's choices?
Yes yes yes taking up a space bla bla bla.
Circumstances in life change, people evolve, have plans or none.
Live and let live.
Vhopeful
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Vhopeful » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Definitely sounds like a positive thing, even though they don't want to stay in the state system all the way through they are still trying to contribute to the school they are in at present. Why would anyone not think this was a positive!

juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Better than no one taking up the positions. A good school needs a good head and parental support. Without that, any teacher is going to struggle irrespective of it being 'state' or 'private'.
Muddlemoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Muddlemoo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm

The Government actually want more non parent governors so i know a lot of schools are encouraging it. I know a Governor at one of the local schools is a deputy head at a private school - guess it's good to have lots of different input. x
TFP
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TFP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 pm

If I were a school and it were somehow possible for me to reject applications from kids who planned to move on at eight (afaik it isn't) then, sure, I'd probably do it.

But I don't particularly see why it'd be even theoretically desirable to bar such parents from the pta? Because say they'd, say, be incentivised to prioritise fundraising for projects that would disproportionately benefit the youngest kids? Seems a stretch.

Obviously if there were plenty of strong candidates then I can well see how schools might prefer to have parents who were in it for the long haul, but I'm not sure whether that's what OP meant?
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm

The way it was put by the OP made it sound as if there was something sinister going on, but I agree with the above (as someone who is not a "PTA type") that good on those who volunteer for these positions. Many of us don't want to (including me).

For those anti-private school people, just remember that every kid who goes private opens up a place for a state-school kid and the parent still pays for that state school place via tax. If those kids all went back to claim their place at state schools then the whole system would break down.

"State 'till 8" is a bit cynical but if you've paid into the system then it's your choice. Most people just find that their circumstances change (i.e. the state options are crap and you can afford it) with no cynicism behind that choice.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.