Local private primary schools?

13 posts
Flowermummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Local private primary schools?

Postby Flowermummy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello

My friend is relocating to London and has a 10-months old baby.
She needs to register her son (asap!) to the private schools.

I have given her the following list of schools - am I missing any good ones?
- Thomas's
- Broomwood Hall
- Newton Prep
- Eaton House
- Finton House
(she is too late for Hornsby House, so no point registering).

They are thinking of BTC or Nightingale Triangle, but can be a abit flexible... so please tell me if I have missed any good options.
Mama
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Local private primary schools?

Postby Mama » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:23 am

HI!
Looking at the list I am going to asume she is relocating to Clapham/Balham area, and I see Newton Prep in the list, so if she is happy to drive that distance one way maybe she would be happy to do the same the opposite way and consider schools like Japs, Dulwich Preo and Alleyns (there are also private buses there). Also, I know she is late for Hornsby but I remeber the year the ressecion hit in, some private schools did have lots of space all of a sudden, it never hurts, and you never know with Brexit.
I hope this helps.
gail0810
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gail0810 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 am

Three other options going the other way towards Wandsworth/East Putney are The Roche, Wandsworth Prep and Hurlingham.
Flowermummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flowermummy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am

thanks a lot!

Good point te. the Dulwich schools.
It's for a boy, so I guess only Dulwich Prep and Alleyns would be suitable?
K1999
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1999 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am

Just a thought but maybe for her to consider a private prep school with their own senior school. We moved our daughter from state school to Alleyns in Dulwich in year 4 (started year 5). There is such a massive bun fight for Senior Schools. If you are already in Alleyns you only have to prepare for 1 entrance exam and they prepare them very well, and your child gets a place before external applications.

K1999
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1999 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 am

There is also Dulwich Prep London who are separate to Dulwich Prep but do have a large amount of boys who go to Dulwich College for 13+ (year 9). My son went there.
Hawthorne4
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Hawthorne4 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 am

We've been very happy at Oliver House School near the Clapham South tube station. It has small class sizes and focuses on character education which has been brilliant for my 2. The Times ranked them 35th in their top 100 Prep Schools list for 2017-2018. There are so many good schools in the area. I'm sure you'll find something!
kgarner
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kgarner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 pm

I believe Oliver House is number 1 among the SW London prep schools on the Times list and 6 in London as a whole. Not sure how these things are calculated, but worth bearing in mind.
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:35 pm

On that note, can someone enlighten me as to how the Sunday Times comes up with its rankings? Oliver house is a nice school, but back when we were looking for schools for our children we discounted it as it didn’t have as good results / leavers destinations as some other local schools. The times’ league tables have always confused me....

kgarner
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kgarner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Oliver House is exemplary in terms of both its results and leavers' destinations, which is reflected in its high ranking in this particular table. Not sure when you viewed it but it can't have been recently. http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/new ... st_London/
Bodders1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bodders1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 pm

My understanding is that The Sunday Times ranking only includes schools that sit SAT tests. Lots of the local prep schools don't do SATs so can't/won't be included in this league table.
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Mmmm, yes I read the article but it’s not particularly factual. I just went to see their leavers destinations again and they are definitely not the best out of all the schools in the area. No St Paul’s, Harrow, Eton, Kings College, etc. Very few to Wimbledon High, JAGS, Dulwich College, etc. In 2017 most seemed to go to the Laurels and Whitgift- good destinations, but certainly not the best around.
The SATs explanations makes more sense...
Hawthorne4
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Hawthorne4 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:02 pm

No, no Harrow or Eton yet. What I think is important to remember is that the school is non-selective so they're not trying to choose the best and the brightest at the start and no one is asked to leave when they don't make the grade. They have pupils of all kinds of abilities so when taking that into consideration, the results are truly remarkable.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.