Catholic Secondary Schools

6 posts
MizzleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Catholic Secondary Schools

Postby MizzleMummy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Hello,
We're in the process of choosing a primary school for our son and our first choice is between a Catholic school and our local school. Both are great schools and we'd be more than happy with either so we're lucky in that respect. We would more than likely get our first choice either way.

Our local school is just down the road so very close to our house so a lot of the advice I've been given is the closer, the better. The Catholic school is a short bus ride away, not far, but further away from the local school.

My question is this: thinking ahead to secondary schools, is it better to go with the Catholic school as it would potentially open up more secondary schools. Or are there enough good secondary schools in the Tooting/Streatham area to not worry? I know it's ages away but I just don't want to regret choosing the "wrong" primary school a bit further down the line.

Thoughts/advice gratefully received.
MizzleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Catholic Secondary Schools

Postby MizzleMummy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 am

Anyone?
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 am

Are you Catholic?
twomonkeys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twomonkeys » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm a bit confused about the fact that the Catholic primary school is a short bus ride away but you are sure of getting in. I'm not sure there is ever a certainty with these things, is there?
Vhopeful
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Vhopeful » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Secondary school is a long way off so I would focus on what you prefer now, if you are Catholic and feel strongly about your children going to a religious school then I would go down that route.
Also, if you are religious you can do the Holy communion, confirmation on your own in your local church and then apply to Catholic secondary schools that way either. We are a catholic family with kids going to a non-Catholic school but I do plan on doing the church bit on our own time.

I wouldn't underestimate having to get a bus to and from school everyday, definitely not something I would choose to do unless I felt very strongly. :-)

MizzleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MizzleMummy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks everyone.

Yes, we are Catholic and while there is no certainty as such, we've moved to Tooting Bec (just within the parish boundary) and also practise in the church so we meet the faith criteria. It'd be a short enough bus journey.

Secondary school is a long way off but (I'm told) it's here before you know it! Just interested to know if people felt they had more choice in secondary schools by going down the Catholic route. We have some really good primary schools in Tooting so either way I'm not worried about that. I just wondered if I'd be "future-proofing" a bit more by choosing the Catholic path.

Many thanks,
M

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.