Employing a nanny.... help

5 posts
Midland Family
Options:
Share this post on:

Employing a nanny.... help

Postby Midland Family » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Hello. We are looking to employ a nanny to look after our toddler and also older boy (before and after school).

What checks can you do to make sure the person is everything you hope they are?
It's so nerve racking hoping we employ a great person.

So far I've interviewed and checked out a reference given from their previous family...

Any help would be much appreciated

Thansk
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Employing a nanny.... help

Postby 2009Kat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 pm

To a certain extent gut feel on whether someone will fit your family is the best.
I usually:
- check written references (but don't rely on these), make
Sure there is one even if you can't get an oral refer nice (e.g. Some nurseries will just confirm they were employed)
- request info on CV, i.e. Explanation of gaps etc
- phone at least one ideally two previous employers
- insist on a relatively recent DBS check
- insist on a contract
- check passport and take a copy
- do a google search!

One time we did nearly have an issue with a nanny who had been faking her friends references. We'd hired her through an agency who found out and told us so we had to
Let her go.
glassmess
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby glassmess » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 am

Hi there!

My advice would be the following:

Regarding a DBS check- you should request a brand new "Enhanced DBS check, with list checks". A basic DBS check does not check something called the "Barred list checks" which includes a list of individuals who are barred from working with children.
For your own peace of mind, this should be brand new- if it is 3 months old for e.g, who knows what they could have done within the 3 months. You should keep a photograph/photocopy of this.

If your nanny is coming from abroad, you should also ask them for a police/criminal record check from their home country to ensure they have a clear background there (and same for any other countries they have worked in).

Proof of right to work in the UK
Personal ID (passport etc) and take a photograph/photocopy of it to keep.
Proof of address- as to see a bank statement/utility bill that has been posted to their address to corroborate.
CV/employment history and 3 references- you should use these references (the dates of employment in particular), to corroborate the employment history information they have given you
Ask for proof of reasons why there are gaps in their employment history- travelling etc.

Good luck! x
Flowermummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flowermummy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 am

Hi

My thoughts:
1. Proof of right to work in the UK + copy of passport
2. DBS check (I didn't know about the "Enhanced DBS check, with list checks" - good to know!!)
3. references from previous employers - for me it's very important that I speak to the previous employers myself, to get a feel for what she would be like (even if employer is in a different country, you can still arrange to speak to them)
4. definitely have a contract with her
tatabella
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tatabella » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi!

I'm a nanny with lots of experience in this field and I do understand how hard it is for families to find the right nanny! It's also nerve wracking for nannies to find the right family too!
All of the above checks are very important indeed although gut feeling is crucial! They (candidates) may have all relevant documents in check, DBS, references and so forth but...if it doesn't feel right you'll know!
All the families I've been working with (very important to be a team!) have checked my references after or before interview. None of them asked for DBS check...and when years later I asked how come I was told that they knew I was the right one also I knew they were the right family for me! So checks are important of course though you should go with your instincts! Btw, I always suggest a trial of a week to see how both parties get on.

Best of luck! ;)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.