Parking fine revenue in Wandsworth

6 posts
Mum2Monkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Parking fine revenue in Wandsworth

Postby Mum2Monkey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:07 am

So, Wandsworth had the 5th largest parking fine "income" last year at over £30m. Unless my maths is failing me, that works out at over £220 for each of the c131000 households in the Borough. (Although I presume that is pre expenses and I have no idea what they pay the company that they outsource enforcement to but it also excludes parking permit income which I understand is intended to cover the outsourcing cost.)

Maybe that is why we have such low council tax. Although it doesn't feel too great once I have added in all my parking fines! I guess it depends on whether you are driver, whether most fines are given to borough residents etc. I have noticed that where as a couple of years ago the council would cancel a ticket for an honest mistake, now they refuse to cancel any of them. Or maybe it is just me who feels like they are taking rather a hard line.

That's a lot of money, either way!
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Parking fine revenue in Wandsworth

Postby supergirl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:15 am

Mum2monkey I agree with you. When the parking app was introduced i used to forget to stop it andcacouple of time i call them and they refunded me. 6 months it happened again, left the parking rolling for 4hrs when i only needed 1hr. I could have proved it as I had an appt. they refused to do anything. I was really upset and 2 weeks later i got a fine because didnt realise at the time but the app hadnt connected (poor network in wandsworth) so guess whzt i was really p... off. Didnt bother to appeal....

I wish we had a system like in Kensington and Chelsea where your permit cost a bit more but you can park everywhere in the borough. It would make it a lot easier and fairer.
TFP
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TFP » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 pm

To be fair, Wandsworth is the third most populous inner London borough.
Wandsworth Council
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wandsworth Council » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:47 am

Any surplus income from parking must by law be spent on specified purposes, for instance improving highways and other transport-related issues.

These include helping maintain roads and pavements and in particular funding the Freedom Pass scheme for older residents, as well as taxi-cards for disabled people and paying the travel costs of disabled children and those with special needs who need help getting to and from special schools.
Wandsworth Council
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wandsworth Council » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks TFP - but actually we're the second biggest inner London borough in terms of population and the biggest in terms of geographical size

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.