Thurleah road - any luck getting into Belleville or Honeywell?

8 posts
Dasha
Options:
Share this post on:

Thurleah road - any luck getting into Belleville or Honeywell?

Postby Dasha » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Help needed. My husband and I are considering buying a house on thurleah road and understand the area is generally outside of the catchment area for Belleville and Honeywell, but heard that you may get in through waitlist or some years. We have a baby on the way and I know it's early but important for us to understand our chances. Thanks for any help.
lemonzest
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Thurleah road - any luck getting into Belleville or Honeywell?

Postby lemonzest » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 am

I guess you mean Thurleigh Rd?

Wandsworth Council publishes a booklet entitled 'How to choose a Wandsworth Primary School' each year, which shows the distances from which children were awarded places. You can download it here http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/ ... ary_school You can also call the schools people at the Council to check a particular address. Note that the schools don't have a "catchment area" (apart from Beatrix Potter, which has priority areas which are similar, I suppose), so distances change from year to year.

Wandsworth has excellent primary schools, so don't be sucked in by the hysteria around Belleville and Honeywell (amongst others). A place at most local primaries would be a great start for your child educationally.
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 am

Hello,

You need to email admissions@wandsworth.gov.uk to find out the exact distance from the house to Honeywell/Belleville.
Then compare it to the published furthest distance (available from the council's website).

I have added below the furthest distances for the past years (2017 not included, you need to find these on the coucil's website).
The furthest distance offered by end of July is the distance for children who get in after being on the waitlist. In practice there are always a few places offered in August/September which are not included in the stats - but I don't think these would change the furthest distances by a lot.

Year/Admissions Number/Looked After Children /Children with Siblings at the School/Exceptional Social or Medical Priority/Furthest Distance Offered under Proximity Criterion on 16th April (in metres)/Furthest Distance Offered under Proximity Criterion by 31st July (in metres)
HONEYWELL
2016 90 1 46 242m 281m
2015 90 1 44 189m 189m
2014 90 1 54 182m 190m
2013 90 0 38 233m 233m
2012 90 0 50 366m 450m

BELLEVILLE
2016 150 3 64 396m 498m
2015 120 1 53 474m 554m
2014 120 1 66 238m 331m
2013 120 0 65 274m 306m
2012 120 0 63 402m 469m

I am not sure which one is your closest primary school from Thurleigh road... maybe Alderbrook? This is also becoming a popular school, so catchment areas for it may shrink in the future.
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Ordinarily I'd have said you would have zero chance of Honeywell and Belleville from Thurleigh, however this year with BV being about 950m, you might have, if you were about half way down. Whether this is simply an anomaly or is due to the new laws governing the sibling policy remains to be seen.
I wouldn't be buying a house based on the assumption that you'd get in to either of them, however.
Historically you might have gotten into BV at/by age 8, an age where traditionally some parents move their child to prep/boarding/out of London; however with more and more people staying put, I wouldn't count on that either.
If you want to guarantee entry to HW, you pretty much need to be in the middle of Honeywell or Chatham Roads. Look at Belleville and Wakehurst for to be guaranteed for BV.
beachdreaming
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby beachdreaming » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:07 pm

We just got into Honeywell yesterday and we live on Taybridge Road so Thurleigh would have well been in catchment as we are over 1km. We got into Belleville before the summer started. We will most likely stay with Macaulay CofE because we like the one form entry, kind atmosphere, good teaching, diversity, ample play space, walking distance and extracurriculars for our son. We never thought we would get into the BTC schools but the bulge year at Belleville this year and last year probably helped along with the new distance policies. I hear a lot of people rely on tutoring at all schools, private as well for some, so the key is to find the place where your child will be most happy and suits your family's schedule. We didn't really figure out until about a year out where would best suit our son but really the schools are all very good around here. It's nice to have a good private backup but we ended up deciding that state suited us just as well. You just have to do initial visits at all state and private to get an initial feel (when pregnant is good), put names and deposits down before or at birth and then visit a year or so before entry and decide. In terms of figuring if you'll get into a state, getting within 100-200m gives you a good guarantee (except for Wix bilingual), otherwise, figure out Belleville's bulge years and you may be lucky to fall within one of those, the other years in between may have very small catchments because of all the siblings pouring in from the bulge years. We got into Macaulay on distance luckily but for any of the CofE's and Catholic state schools, you can always look up their church involvement requirements and start now too.

KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

I imagine that the catchments BTC are just going to get larger and larger as the house prices very close to the school have become too highly priced for most new families or younger couples hoping to have children in the future.
There are not many people with little children looking to spend in excess of 1.5 million as a first home.
So, assuming you are looking at 4 years time goodness knows where the lists will be...
Do also keep Alderbrook in mind, they have made plenty of positive changes to the school and people are speaking very highly of it now.
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:04 am

Not so sure that catchments BTC will get larger and larger. Historically, years with large catchment areas are followed by years of reduced catchment areas (due to siblings).
Agree about keeping Alderbrook in mind, it is a school on the up, have only heard positive feedback about it in the last few years.
runningmummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby runningmummy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 am

I wouldn't gamble on Thurleigh Rd for HW And BV. This year was larger distance and the reason was an unprecedented amount of siblings. There were hardly any at all this year. Next year there are likely to be siblings of those who started this year and I suspect the catchment will shrink again. New rules and extra bulge class probably had an impact but but it was the low numbers of siblings that made such a difference. I saw the stats and the drop in siblings from the previous year was enormous. Must have been a low birth year.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.