Cape Verde - anyone been, is it really trashy?

14 posts
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Cape Verde - anyone been, is it really trashy?

Postby parsleysong » Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 pm

It feels crass to be thinking today of booking a holiday what with the Manchester tragedy, but that's probably what's spurred me on to want to book a really fun holiday for me and the kids. I read an article by Rose Astor in the Sunday Times recently about taking her kids on an all-inclusive Thompsons holiday to Cape Verde and they had a great time. I'd normally run a mile from a package holiday, but it did sound pretty great. I reckon I am missing a trick! Has anyone else been alone with their kids on a holiday like that or somewhere similar?

Basically, I want to book something for a week out of the UK - it'll just me and my kids. I want them to be happy (pool/s, beach, kids activities, interesting food not kids pap) and me happy (kids safe and happy doing stuff without me having to be joined at the hip, not having to cook drive or think, get a massage, read and relax with great food on tap).

Any suggestions?
margoblueberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Cape Verde - anyone been, is it really trashy?

Postby margoblueberry » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 am

My friend just got back and the pictures show it is stunning. She was on a more adventurous holiday though, climbing volcanos and the like so maybe not the same area as you're looking in?
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 pm

We looked for the very same thing but the flight is 6 hours & you can't swim in the sea due to the strong currents. We're going to the Canaries instead.
Lucy Gardening Lady
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Lucy Gardening Lady » Tue May 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Actually you can swim - Most tourists go to SAL ISLAND - i was there last year.

The weather is hot, the beach is stunning, yes, it is remote, but a great experience and fine to bring kids - all is perfectly safe if your on a package all in.
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks, that's good to know, an option for Autumn 2018 :)

LWade
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LWade » Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 pm

Can anyone recommend a good hotel there and what is the weather like in July and August please
TLTB
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TLTB » Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 am

Hello I have stayed at the melia sol Dunas a two years ago with my husband and our then 2 year old twins. I highly recommend it for a fly and flop. It is a high standard accommodation with rooms and villas available on site. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ground floor room with a small kitchenette perfect location by the kids splash pool and kids club and we could sit on the terrace in the sun while they had an afternoon sleep. It's a good size resort with a few big swimming pools to choose from and good food for all inclusive with choice of restaurants and the main one offered a great range of buffet and kids food. Lots of entertainment if you want it and poolside fitness classes but not busy we went end of April great weather. The beach is stunning but the sea is a bit rough on resort. However you can grab a cheap taxi or free transfer into town Santa Maria which had a lovely sandy beach with calmer sea and good to mooch around the local market and pier to see the fish come in. Nice local restaurants too overlooking the sea.We loved it and it has a cool vibe. You can even hopp on a golf cart for transport around resort if you don't want to walk. Staff were friendly and it was excellent value especially that time of year. I now run my own travel agency from home so if you want to know more please feel welcome to contact me http://www.theluxurytravelboutique.com
Flambeau
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flambeau » Wed May 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Watching this thread with great interest as this is somewhere I have wanted to go to for a little while now.

Anymore hotel recommendations and things today with DC would be really useful.
SophieCS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SophieCS » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 pm

If you are after a little more info about Cape Verde, this might help:

https://www.clickstay.com/blog/cape-ver ... ngs-to-see

Ex Clapham resident
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ex Clapham resident » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:29 pm

It doesn't mention Boa Vista where we've booked for October.... hope it's ok! We're taking a punt on it but I think it will be nice to go somewhere a bit off the beaten track for a change.
yourgardenroom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby yourgardenroom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Last year (Early Sept) We took two weeks at the Ria Caramboa on Boa Vista, which
was very good.
the Thompson reps were useless and be careful to avoid their "services". There are two Riu Hotels on the Island and they managed to send us to the wrong one.
Then they were extremely rude when my wife asked for a refund.
The resort however was very good and the staff were fantastic- very freindly and engaging.
swimming pools are right next to the beach and you can borrrow scuba masks, pedalos, canoes wind surf boards etc and there is very good Kite surfing and wind surfing as there is a fairly strong breeze most days.
there is a very safe vibe about the place and even the occasional encounter with beach sellers didn't matter there was no hard sell and locals seemed charming, funny and had very good manners.
It is far from trashy at the resorts and the food and restaurants were excellent would definitely recommend.
it is a developing nation so it may look a bit undeveloped but everyone seemed healthy and happy and certainly it seems like it is a well governed democratic country, proud of it's history (ex Portuguese colony)and on a progressive path.

I wouldn't hesitate do the same again.
yourgardenroom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby yourgardenroom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:23 pm

correction... Sorry guys in my last post I said that Thompsons reps were rude when my wife asked for a refund... I meant a refund for the taxi which they told us to take to get to the correct hotel.
Ex Clapham resident
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ex Clapham resident » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Thank you yourgardenroom- that's where we've booked for! With Thomson too though.... :roll: Hopefully they've changed them due to bad feedback!

SelinaS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SelinaS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello,

we were told it was good cheaper alternative to the Caribbean.

It was super. We took our 3 children and made full use of kids clubs and water sports. We have never done a package holiday, always independent travel. and yes it was a bit conveyor belt at times- buffet food and sponatenous dancing and activities- but we loved it.
We took a few tons to sand dunes and around the idland- but it is very unspoilt and nothing to spend your money on .

Very relaxing, beautiful beaches and wonderful music and people.

You will have a ball.

Selina

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.