Chris Coghlan - A new, independent, centrist candidate for Battersea who opposes Brexit. Please support him.

11 posts
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Chris Coghlan - A new, independent, centrist candidate for Battersea who opposes Brexit. Please support him.

Postby GuyD73 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:51 am

I met Chris Coghlan yesterday and found him a determined, capable and very personable family man. I'm furious with many MPs for voting through Article 50 and denying themselves a meaningful vote, and appalled by the intransigence of Lab & LDs to reach tactical agreements to weaken the Tory majority. He stands on a centrist platform of opposing Brexit and cuts in schools and social care. Please share this and with any remain voting friends in the Battersea constituency who feel Jane Ellison has failed to represent them and can't bring themselves to vote for a hard left Labour candidate. I believe he will best represent me, so he has my vote.
He's featured in the Sunday Times today
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/elec ... -z70snlrbz
You can find his web site here, where you can register as a volunteer. Please help him out if you can spare a few hours of your time.
https://www.coghlanstopbrexit.com/
He explains his position and background in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBfDFabKto
ChrisCoghlan
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Chris Coghlan - A new, independent, centrist candidate for Battersea who opposes Brexit. Please support him.

Postby ChrisCoghlan » Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Many thanks Guy for your kind words. I would be delighted to get in touch with anyone who has any questions- my email is coghlanstopbrexit@gmail.com. I am standing both to oppose Brexit and attempt to prove demand for a new centrist party at the ballot box to attempt to finally galvanise moderate Tory, Labour and Lib Dem MPs to come together in a new party and actually represent us. I believe proving that this is possible at the ballot box would provide huge energy towards bringing moderation and hope back to our politics. I also oppose social care and school cuts. I'm personally particularly concerned about the latter as my eldest daughter is due to start school next year.

I've just resigned from the Foreign Office to do this because I felt so frustrated by the lack of representation for the centre ground by our political parties, except perhaps by the Lib Dems, but who are also failing to prove credible. Before taking this leap I undertook polling by Survation (published on our website), which shows an independent stop brexit candidate polling at double the Lib Dems, with enough undecideds out there for us to have a real chance of winning.
TLS
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Chris Coghlan - A new, independent, centrist candidate for Battersea who opposes Brexit. Please support him.

Postby TLS » Sun May 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Chris. Will you be at the hustings (York Gardens Library, Tuesday 23rd)? Thanks
ChrisCoghlan
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ChrisCoghlan » Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am

Hi TLS unfortunately not as we are suspending campaigning today. From tomorrow I will be rotating between all the stations in the constituency at rush hour, so you can catch me then. Or we will also be doing events this weekend- we'll publish them on the facebook page soon.
Jreyrey22
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jreyrey22 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Chris, you have my vote! I met you outside Clapham South Station where you were handing out flyers. Finally a candidate who will put his constituents before his career. I commend your efforts and sincerely hope to see you elected. Many thanks, J.

betsyboop
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby betsyboop » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Good luck !

I wish I could vote :(
Calaya
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Calaya » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Chris,

Apologies in advance as I'm sure there are many differences but your program does not seem to far off from the libdems. As we need more and more people with balanced views in these days and age, would it not be better to join their existing movement?
ChrisCoghlan
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ChrisCoghlan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks Calaya. You're correct there are many similarities between my position and the Lib Dems. The difference is that I am standing for moderate MP's of all three parties (including the Lib Dems) to unite in a new centrist party. Only a vote for me is for the centre to unite. Additionally (and I polled this before I ran), there are many Conservative Remainers who would consider voting for me, but would not vote Lib Dem. At the start of this campaign I was polling at 17% (from Survation- http://www.coghlanstopbrexit.co.uk), over triple the Lib Dems who are not breaking through. As such I am the only candidate who can beat Jane Ellison here as I do not believe it is credible that people who did not vote for Ed Milliband's Labour, would vote for Jeremy Corbyn's hard left Labour. Hope that helps.
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 pm

I wouldn't vote for someone who doesn't know how to use an apostrophe to become an MP.

rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:59 am

I wouldn't vote for someone to become an MP who doesn't know how to use an apostrophe.
And he's a Centrist? Sounds more like a Centralist to me. Another one on a power trip seeing an opportunity..
It does seem a "who is least worst" election,,, again
noses in the trough....
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:01 pm

hehe, quite. Almost as bad as Theresa May saying "me and my friends" yesterday. :)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.