How many former Tory voters in Battersea or Merton will be voting differently this time?

136 posts
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

How many former Tory voters in Battersea or Merton will be voting differently this time?

Postby GuyD73 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Morning all, I am just curious as to how many people on here who (like me) voted tory in 2015 and 2010 will be voting differently this time? I believe Brexit to be an unconscionable act of self-harm and I have no respect for our PM (U-turns, dumb soundbites, trying to usurp parliament, refusing to debate) and the clowns around her like Davis, Hunt and Johnson. Lib Dem is obviously the only pro-EU choice but in Battersea they got just over 2k votes last time to Jane Ellison's 26k and I simply can't see the swing being sufficient to win the seat. We don't know the extent to which the new Labour candidate will defy the Labour whip in future votes but, given it's the only chance of getting the tory out, I'm inclined to vote tactically for Labour (who got 18k last time). Anyone else thinking along similar lines? In Wimbledon it's a closer call and the LDs might just do it. Basically, LDs should stand down in Battersea to avoid splitting the anti-tory vote and Labour should do the same in Merton (but they won't). Are any labour supporting Merton residents up for a vote swap? some links to check out
http://campaigntogether.org/
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... e-stranger
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How many former Tory voters in Battersea or Merton will be voting differently this time?

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I've always voted conservative but there is just no way I can do so now. I also can't bring myself to vote for labour as it stands at the moment. I suppose it will have to be the lib dems then. I know it's unlikely to do much and appreciate it's a protest vote but apparently protest votes are what landed us with brexit and trump so perhaps miracles happen and they'll work in reverse too...?
Vhopeful
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How many former Tory voters in Battersea or Merton will be voting differently this time?

Postby Vhopeful » Sat May 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Another conservative voter who will be voting lib Dems. Even if lib dems don't win the seat maybe it will wake Jane E up to the fact that she needs to do something more as it may not be considered a safe seat in the future.
BFW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BFW » Sat May 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Another one here. Jane Ellison lost both votes in our house. But...still not sure who we will be voting for!
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Sat May 06, 2017 3:56 pm

It seems that the new Labour contestant for Battersea is firmly in the Corbyn camp so I don't see any anti-Brexit campaign to go against the leader should labour triumph...

https://twitter.com/Marshadecordova?ref ... r%5Eauthor

...so it looks like only a vote for the Lib-Dem candidate for an anti-Brexit statement.

parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Sat May 06, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm sticking with the Tories and I'm pro-brexit.
TonsleyDad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TonsleyDad » Sat May 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Sticking with tories as are most people I know..and most of us are pro-brexit too.
liverbird in london
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby liverbird in london » Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 pm

Voting the same way as Tonsley Dad and parsley song.

Brexit is going ahead. The negotiations are going to be tough. I'd much rather have Theresa May fighting the UK's corner than the hapless Tim or Jeremy...
twomonkeys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twomonkeys » Sat May 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Be careful what you wish for with a tactical vote...

Brexit is happening whether we like it or not. Theresa May is following through on what the majority wanted and in my view is best placed to do it.

Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Pro-brexiteers in nappyvalley.... definitely a rarity. Thankfully.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Sun May 07, 2017 1:36 am

Brexit is just one part of the decision process.
The old will think hard about pensions and the NHS.
The young about university fees.
The rest about tax.
There are no low tax parties and none seem to want to support the SMEs which is crazy as they are the power house of the UK outside of the city.
Come on Mrs May, do you job and don't let the euro gossip put you off. Walk out if you need to.
You have my support.
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 am

liverbird in london wrote:Voting the same way as Tonsley Dad and parsley song.

Brexit is going ahead. The negotiations are going to be tough. I'd much rather have Theresa May fighting the UK's corner than the hapless Tim or Jeremy...
This is the nub of the question really.

Brexit is going to happen whether we like it of not, voting Lib-Dem (or heaven forbid for Corbyn) will just ensure that the LDs or Corbyn will make it tremendous hash of it as they have for everything...
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Sun May 07, 2017 12:59 pm

As a traditional Labour supporter, I and every Labour supporter I know will be without a party to vote for due to Corbyn and his friends.
My hope is a total rout of Labour so they can rebuild as a serious Centre left opposition party offering a credible government in waiting in 5 years time.
Brexit is going to happen so no point trying to reverse that decision.
Tough decision but has to be aimed at removing the delusional Corbyn.

GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GuyD73 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Out of interest, And if you don't mind me asking, you going to vote for the labour candidate in Battersea or abstain?
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Will not be voting Labour but will vote for another candidate - probably the one who has best plan for non- selective state education.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.