Fulham to Cambridgeshire

13 posts
K1LF
Options:
Share this post on:

Fulham to Cambridgeshire

Postby K1LF » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 am

Hi,

We are hoping to move out of London in the near future to get a bit more breathing space. We have pinpointed Cambridgeshire as an area we would like to move to due to its fantastic train links into London (husband will be commuting into kings cross) and it's close proximity to family in Norfolk. We are looking for suggestions of villages that are with 15 mins drive of a train station with direct links to London (e.g St Neots/Royston/Cambridge) that will also allow for myself a reasonable journey into Cambridge in the mornings for nursery and schools. Can anybody recommend any great family villages/areas up there? Or areas we should avoid??? There seem to be a lot of movement up to this area so maybe someone has first hand experience or friends who have just done the big move. Also any personal recommendations for nurseries/schools(prep) would also great!

Thanks in advance
Life After London
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Fulham to Cambridgeshire

Postby Life After London » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 am

Hi there
Sounds really exciting and we certainly know that commute makes a lot of sense.

There are definitely people using our website (lifeafterlondon.com) who've made this move and I know would be very willing to chat to you about it and to make recommendations for lovely villages and also schools etc.

Do drop me an email at bee@lifeafterlondon.com if you'd like.

You might find these threads interesting
http://www.lifeafterlondon.com/forums-2 ... hire-like/
http://www.lifeafterlondon.com/forums-2 ... fordshire/
LWade
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LWade » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

You should try and find s property search agent who works in the area you are interested in. They charge a percentage of the house cost but they will have the most indeoth knowledge of where to and where not to buy and also get the houses before they come on the open market.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

Hi,
I know quite a bit about the town of Huntingdon.
firstly, it is a town, obvious, but you need to know. It has a very good sation link to London and has some very good neighbourhoods.
Have a look at this link at a house we were looking at.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 84121.html
We had a look on street view and the area looks lovely. The state schools around are very good and there are independent schools too.
Oliver Cromwell came from there too!
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Do you want state school or are you planning to drive your kids into private school in Cambridge?

The traffic and congestion is not to be underestimated!

K1LF
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1LF » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:47 pm

LWade wrote:You should try and find s property search agent who works in the area you are interested in. They charge a percentage of the house cost but they will have the most indeoth knowledge of where to and where not to buy and also get the houses before they come on the open market.
Thanks. I will definitely look into that. Will take a lot of pressure off the move.
K1LF
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1LF » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you for all the above.

We would like to be semi rural as I have horses, so a house with a couple of acres would be ideal. However I don't want to totally isolate ourselves or be miles from the nearest supermarket. Just trying to get that work(husband commuting)/school/life balance.

I would like to send to private school, however i have heard the Cambridge traffic can be pretty formidable!
dingley24
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dingley24 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:45 am

We've recently done this move. As someone else said the traffic is terrible so expect a LONG drive into Cambridge if you want to be in the villages. A 15 min drive in can take 40 mins in rush hour A big plus to the villages is you'll find a nice house. The housing market here is so depressing! Feel free to message me as we've done the whole school thing etc
Sara Findlay
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sara Findlay » Tue May 09, 2017 3:19 pm

I am intending to sell my house in Cambridgeshire. We have two acres plus stables and are 20 minutes drive from St Neots and Bedford train station. My three children attended the local private school in Kimbolton which is less than 5 miles away from my house. Message me if you are interested.

Redboy28
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Redboy28 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:10 am

Morning- we made this move a year ago with our three children. There are quite a few things we considered!! It might be worth visiting some schools up here before you make a decision if this is something most important for you. For example to commute from for example Bedford and st Neots takes the same time but access to private schools is very different. Bedford although the commute can be difficult at school times is far better than Cambridge. There are also beautiful rural properties in north bedfordshire which are more likely cheaper than near to Cambridge where the commute is pretty bad! Please pm me if you want to. We are between st Neots and huntingdon!
Dria
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dria » Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi, we've recently made the move you are considering and now live in a south cambridge village with my husband commuting to London from Royston.
We're also commuting into Cambridge for schools.
As others have mentioned, the traffic is pretty heavy, it was a shock to start with, but we've got used to it pretty quickly. Spending much more time in the car has been a period of adjustment for all of us, as we were previously a 5min walk from school, but there are plenty of upsides and my children are definitely enjoying having a bit more space and are happy in their new Cambridge school. The Royston to London commute is pretty quick, so that is working well.
Do message me if you'd like any further info, advise etc.
Life After London
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Life After London » Mon May 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Finding a buying agent is a good idea. We often recommend them at Life After London because they can add so much value, especially when you don't know an area. They can do a whole heap of the legwork for you and save frustrating viewings but also critically they are first to get the call from estate agents so you really can find things that never appear on the property portals.
It's all about finding one with whom you connect and trust!
I really like Sarah from Move to Cambridge http://www.movetocambridge.co.uk/. She'd be a great place to start at least. 01223 290571
Ex Clapham resident
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ex Clapham resident » Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm from near Huntingdon and went to Kimbolton which is a nice rural drive. I wouldn't recommend Huntingdon itself though - pretty rough. But lovely villages around it and St Ives and great trains into Kings X.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.