Chemo gifts

15 posts
helliebee
Options:
Share this post on:

Chemo gifts

Postby helliebee » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Going to visit a friend undergoing chemo; any tips for presents that are welcome in people's prior experience? Got some books and funny dvds to lend but don't want to take chocs/cakes etc if appetites are affected etc. Any top tips gratefully received, thanks.
Caatje
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Chemo gifts

Postby Caatje » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Joeybar
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Joeybar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 pm

I have a friend (albeit not a close friend) who is undergoing chemotherapy - a couple of us got together to buy her a good amount of cook food.net vouchers. Might sound a bit boring/practical but as harsh as it is, life goes on and her family still need feeding. We couldn't decide what to get her and we ended up getting her the vouchers on her 3rd cycle of chemo and she genuinely seemed touched and it was a great way to show her that we were still 'thinking' of her.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 pm

I went through chemo not so long ago.

I agree food from cook or other is a good idea and very practical. She will feel very supported but if you want to give HER a gift, for her then for me what works was

- a bag with cherries stone in it that you can microwave and it keeps you warm. It works like a hot water bottle but you can put it around your neck - heaven.

- cream for the hand and or the body. A good one that will really moisturise because chemo drues the skin (the ones that works for me were clarins and elisabeth arden).

- if you know her well and is into it then you can suscribe to my little gift box or similar and ince a month for how many months you choose she will receive a box with goodies in it.

- books. But i couldnt focus so i m reading tgem now.

Remember when yoi go through chemo you loose ALL your hair and with it comes loss. Loss of your own self and loss of the things that makes you a woman. If you want to give her a gift temember that please.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Yes and no food unless you ask her specificallt. I still have no idea why i was given so much food when i all i was feeling was sickness.

But text her before you go if she wants something. For me it was a pho from Eat.

Rex
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Rex » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:21 am

My wife went through chemo a few years ago. Good friend of hers put together a lovely gift box, which included hand cream, nice socks, and few other bits and pieces to help with the inevitable dry skin and cold hands/feet.
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 am

Try not to give her anything with a strong smell. A really nice scarf, shawl or throw might be appreciated to keep her warm.
lalectrice
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lalectrice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 am

After being treated for leukaemia my friend set up what has become an award-winning skincare company designed to offer gentle toxin-free products especially suitable for thone undergoing chemo and radiotherapy. They are lovely products that I really recommend. www.etieno.co.uk
szerma
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby szerma » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 am

If it's a gift for her, would a manicure / pedicure or a home massage voucher be appreciated? Asking for feedback from those who have been through it (e.g. Possibly the smell if a nail salon might be too much, but what about a mobile beautician?)

supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:52 am

In response to the previous poster and just to tell the OP, manicure/pedicure really depends on what physical side effects (on top of sickness) she gets from the chemo.

For me, I had to stop everything as I was loosing my eyelashes so I stopped wearing make up around my eyes as I didn't want to tear away the few lashes away by removing the make up. I could not even wear any nail varnish because my nails were breaking and it would have damaged them even more.

As for massages, some places refuse to give you a massage whilst undergoing chemo even if your oncologist says it is fine. The grove spa and lemon tree refused me.
etienoskin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby etienoskin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi guys, i am the founder of http://www.etieno.co.uk and i am a cancer survivor my self. Firstly, i am really sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep her in my thoughts.
The things i found useful - i was in hospital for 6 months or so

ginger sweets for nausea
my friends got me netflix subscription
room spray to get rid of the hospital smell.
aloe vera gel as my skin was damaged (i created a skin balm eventually to repair my skin)
a turban/fancy scarves
socks/blanket
natural lip balm - no scent (shea butter is really good)
journal

will add more as i remember.

ps manicures and pedicures are best avoided in the early days as the nails may fall out or become brittle and they need to watch what kinds of nail polish to use post treatment as some are unsafe.

i have a free skincare guide on my website https://www.etieno.co.uk/complimentary-book/. i hope it helps
Last edited by etienoskin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
etienoskin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby etienoskin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:21 pm

supergirl wrote:In response to the previous poster and just to tell the OP, manicure/pedicure really depends on what physical side effects (on top of sickness) she gets from the chemo.

For me, I had to stop everything as I was loosing my eyelashes so I stopped wearing make up around my eyes as I didn't want to tear away the few lashes away by removing the make up. I could not even wear any nail varnish because my nails were breaking and it would have damaged them even more.

As for massages, some places refuse to give you a massage whilst undergoing chemo even if your oncologist says it is fine. The grove spa and lemon tree refused me.
hello if your nails are still damaged, massage sweet almond oil into them. it is really good and cost effective
Comeonthewife
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Comeonthewife » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi, I'm probably a bit late to this post now and you have probably visited your friend already - I hope that she is ok.
I had chemo a few years ago when my children were quite young - the most welcoming gifts and/or gestures were those of help. Help with the children after school or at the weekend, a call to invite my husband out for a beer, a meal cooked, someone to help clean the house - the normal things cannot be underestimated. When you feel so rubbish, weak and your self esteem is low, you want your family to maintain a sense of normality as you get through this process and phase of treatment. You can never have too many frozen meals!
Some gifts I did receive (one being a gorgeous Hermès scarf!) are now hidden away, in a box as they are reminders of a crappy time in my life.
I hope this helps a little bit.
Best wishes,
x

juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 am

LIkewise to the previous post, I'm a little late to this. I've had cancer twice and it's not great. All the gift and help ideas are very kind and thoughtful. However, speaking from personal experience, it really depends on your friend.

It can be a very sensitive time and I would ask your friend what they might need rather than a grand surprise just it case it misses the target. For example I shut everything out and really didn't talk about it with anyone but the Doctors. It didn't react very well to anyone or anything that brought the situation back outside of the hospital environment. Very male reaction to compartmentalise I guess but it worked for me.

Wish them well.
Avenuecookery
Share this post on:

Postby Avenuecookery » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am

This skincare brand was created by a cancer survivor after she found other creams too harsh on her skin after chemo.

I met the founder at an event recently and she is such an inspiring lady

Check out her products here- https://www.etieno.co.uk/

But could make a great gift for someone undergoing chemo. :)
The Avenue Cookery School
3 Enterprise Way, Wandsworth, SW18 1FZ
+44 20 8874 7623
http://theavenuecookeryschool.com

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.