Skiing in Scotland - any recommendations pls?

8 posts
Nightingale
Options:
Share this post on:

Skiing in Scotland - any recommendations pls?

Postby Nightingale » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 pm

We are thinking of taking our 4 and 5 year old skiing for the first time in Scotland next January. We are not bothered about the adult skiing so this is purely for the children to get started. Has anyone been and has any thoughts, tips, recommendations? I'm assuming it makes sense to fly to Aberdeen - any recommendations on which of the resorts would be best and any good accommodation ideas would be great.

Many thanks
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Skiing in Scotland - any recommendations pls?

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:34 am

Is there a particular reason you want to go to Scotland aside of skiing? The weather pattern is completely different to the Alps as their snow comes more in storms. So fresh snow is almost always accompanied by high winds. Also in January the days will be very short given how far North it is. That's not to say you can't get great days but they are the rarity rather than the norm at that time of year.

Personally, as a ski instructor and parent, I wouldn't recommend it if that is your sole reason for going. Sorry to be negative.
Nightingale
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nightingale » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Julian, thanks very much for your reply and advise. Would you mind if I PM you with a couple of further ski questions you might be able to help with?
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Sure no problem.
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:20 am

Mark Warner is a great way to introduce your children to Skiing, I def wouldn't go to Scotland.

We have been to Les Deux Alpes & Les Plagnes with MW.

Pencil Portraits
Share this post on:

Postby Pencil Portraits » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

I grew up in Scotland and have skied at Glenshee and Cairngorm. The only way to ski in Scotland is to live nearby and nip up when the conditions are right. Julian is right about the wind. I remember really struggling to ski down off the mountain as the bitterly cold wind was pushing me back uphill!

If you're looking at the Alps I can recommend Esprit Ski.
Nightingale
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nightingale » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, much appreciated. Looks like Scotland is out but will looks into the other suggestions.
PersonalTAgent
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby PersonalTAgent » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi, Scotland can be as good as the Alps for skiing on a good day (except for the size of ski area) with blue skies, sunshine and great piste conditions, however they are sadly not looking so good this year so far. Hopefully it will improve and if so and you are able to take off without too much advance notice, I'd recommend the Cairngorms. You could fly into Inverness which would be your best Airport and stay either in Aviemore (a bit built up these days) or I would recommend Glenmore or Carrbridge (you would be better with a car though). There are so many lovely areas around there, and if you do end up unlucky with the skiing, you can still fill in your days with countless other activities, such as stunning walks around Loch Morlich and Loch an Eilean, or you can go up on the mountain to walk with real reindeer and accompany the ranger in feeding them. There are land rovers safaris, cycling, and you can still go up to the Cairngorm Mountain and take the Funicular railway to the top.
However if you want guaranteed snow conditions and good weather then Europe or the States it is :-) If you need help with that, I can do that, feel free to send me a message.
The following is a handy guide to the ski Centres in Scotland.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Ca ... now-report
https://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/marisa.ippolito#contact
07788 946 323 - 01899 872 560
marisa.ippolito@travelcounsellors.com

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.