New home for my wigs!

6 posts
emjkni
Options:
Share this post on:

New home for my wigs!

Postby emjkni » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:11 pm

In 2005 I got cancer and luckily I have been in remission since. I was very fortunate to have lots of support from family and friends for myself and close loved ones.

Some of that support came in the form of two very lovely and expensive wigs to use when the chemo made my hair fall out. They were beautiful and made me feel beautiful at a time when I felt far from it.

I've held onto them since my recovery and haven't found the right time or person to pass them on to. Silly as it may be, I'm still attached to them and would love to gift them to a lady or two who are going through a shitty time in their lives and need a bit of a boost. I can't bear the thought of them sitting in a charity shop and Macmillian at Chelsea and Westminster can't accept them due to health and safety.

I am not asking for any money (a donation to Macmillian can be made if deemed necessary). Please let me know if you know of a home where they will make someone's day, week, month or year X
Roxron
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: New home for my wigs!

Postby Roxron » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:30 pm

I don't need them myself but just wanted to say what a lovely, and kind, thing to do.
X
emjkni
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby emjkni » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 pm

emjkni wrote:In 2012 I got cancer and luckily I have been in remission since. I was very fortunate to have lots of support from family and friends for myself and close loved ones.

Some of that support came in the form of two very lovely and expensive wigs to use when the chemo made my hair fall out. They were beautiful and made me feel beautiful at a time when I felt far from it.

I've held onto them since my recovery and haven't found the right time or person to pass them on to. Silly as it may be, I'm still attached to them and would love to gift them to a lady or two who are going through a shitty time in their lives and need a bit of a boost. I can't bear the thought of them sitting in a charity shop and Macmillian at Chelsea and Westminster can't accept them due to health and safety.

I am not asking for any money (a donation to Macmillian can be made if deemed necessary). Please let me know if you know of a home where they will make someone's day, week, month or year X
FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FLH03 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:00 pm

What an inspiring, thoughtful and caring post, I am very pleased that things have worked out so well for you, and long may that be the case.

Have you tried contacting the Haven Centre in Fulham www.thehaven.org.uk, they have provided invaluable support to friends of mine in exactly the same situation. My sister-in-law up in Scotland has been through surgery and is now undergoing chemo and I was trying to find support for her similar to the Haven but sadly there was nothing like it up there. If they can't find another lovely home for your wigs directly they may have some other ideas.

I found a wonderful website when looking for a home for my wedding dress, http://www.weddingwishingwell.org.uk/ which may also be worth contacting, I have no direct experience of their work however.

If absolutely nothing comes from NVN or the Haven, then the National Theatre has a costume and props hire warehouse in Kennington, and they may be happy to take them too, lots of schools and drama clubs hire things from there at very reasonable rates, it is a great resource.

All the best wishes to you.
Birchtree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Birchtree » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:53 am

Wonderful to hear your positive outcome and how generous of you. Maybe the local Paul Cancer Centre might have a few ladies who would benefit from these? Otherwise, I think there is a charity that provides wigs for children and teens with cancer, and they might be interested? Very best wishes to you.

Mills1234
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mills1234 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:11 am

Hi, are the wigs still available? I've tried to message direct but seem unable to. Many thanks

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.