Writing a will

4 posts
Tinkertwo
Options:
Share this post on:

Writing a will

Postby Tinkertwo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi,

Has anyone got any experience of writing a will? How did you go about it? Do you need a solicitor and if so does anyone have any recommendations of who to use?
Thanks so much for your help.
sebastianbear
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Writing a will

Postby sebastianbear » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:24 am

Hi
You can write your own will. I wrote my mother's, based on an old one for somebody else, pro formas on the net etc. and it proved perfectly acceptable legally. And it's so much better to have a will than not that if this suits your situation, please go for it.
However, if there are any complications with your estate or family situation - second marriages, stepchildren etc - you'd be much better off getting legal advice. If there are no obvious complications I'd be inclined to write my own and then have a solicitor check it. There is an annual low-cost will-writing offer from various solicitors (I'm sure other posters can give details), but, again, I wouldn't rely on the advice if my affairs were at all complex.
Good luck.
dmcc100
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dmcc100 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:47 am

Hi,

I started trying to write my own will but then got a bit confused (particularly about clauses regarding who would look after our children in worst case scenarios etc). In the end my husband and I used Streather's solicitors in Clapham Common. They were very helpful and also quite reasonable compared to some of the places I'd contacted for quotes. The solicitor we used was called Ben Wise - aside from the day we had to come into the office to sign everything, all the preparatory work was done via email/phone which made it easier as we both worked.

http://www.streathers.co.uk/where-we-ar ... am-office/

Hope this helps.
Balhamicvinegar
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhamicvinegar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:52 am

We used http://www.xpresslegal.com after reading about them on here. Very helpful, not as expensive as other solicitors I asked for quotes and they came to the house in the evenings to go through it with us so no time needed off work.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.