Tips for cleaning bath toys

10 posts
golfwidow
Options:
Share this post on:

Tips for cleaning bath toys

Postby golfwidow » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello!

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning squirty bath toys when they start getting black on the inside, or do I just have to throw them away? I've tried a mild bleach solution, but it didn't have a great result.

Thanks
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Tips for cleaning bath toys

Postby Pod » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:07 pm

My friend swears by couple bottles cheap strong bleach and rubber gloves. Empty bleach into washing up bowl wearing gloves submerge and squeeze the toys full of the full strength bleach and kesve over night. Next day shake vigorously and squeeze out the bleach and black mould then rinse!
pepper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pepper » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:38 pm

I am cleaning the bath toys in Milton. Leaving them for a night in the liquid. Nice and clean inside next day
golfwidow
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby golfwidow » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:27 am

Thank you both, will try again tomorrow!
duck20
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby duck20 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:56 pm

How did you get on Golfwidow? I am so glad you asked this question as its something thats been bugging me!

zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:18 pm

I'm curious too. I've tried Milton but it doesn't seem to get the black gunk completely. We have tried to find non-squeezy bath toys but they aren't as much fun :)
ChelseaMary
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ChelseaMary » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Using the same method as the other ladies describe, We use Cilit Bang black mould remover. Its fiddly as the nozzle doesn't come off the bottle but it works.
I leave them overnight and give them a quick rince in the dishwasher to get rid of any residue. Ive found nothing that prevents or stops it returning unfortunately.
golfwidow
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby golfwidow » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:49 pm

I tried a second time with pretty much neat bleach, as recommended, and left them overnight and they were spotless the next day (well as spotless as toddler bath toys can be!) So simple and a great result!

Thank you again to the tipsters as it would have been a waste to throw them away but they really had got to the point of being unhygienic for my son to play with!
mealsonwheels
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mealsonwheels » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:33 pm

I've heard you can put the bath toys in the dishwasher and it gets rid of the black gunk but I haven't tried it myself.

Nims
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nims » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Followed the advice here and used bleach - filled up the toys with bleach via the little hole, left over night (toys upside down), squirted out and rinsed thoroughly the next day and it's sparkling clean again. Worked an absolute treat, so thank you for the advice.

Tried the dishwasher option, but not as effective as bleach.

Thanks again, you've just saved me from binning a whole load of bath toys. I find that bathing my little ones in Oilatum makes the bath toys blacker than usual, so a cleanout with bleach once a month it is...

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.