Would you take an au pair for a 10 month old?

9 posts
M&mmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Would you take an au pair for a 10 month old?

Postby M&mmum » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:27 pm

Trying to figure out our childcare for next year...
Would you take an au pair to look after a 10 month old 4 days a week?
Help, need advice!
:o
SMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Would you take an au pair for a 10 month old?

Postby SMum » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 am

Following as also looking at childcare options.

Sorry to high jack

Smum
Mimi76
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mimi76 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:53 am

Hello there,

I'll just write my opinion as a former au-pair here. Au-pairs are supposed to have some free time in the day so that they can attend English courses and go out to explore the new culture etc. They shouldn't be working more than 25 hours a week. I assume with a 10 months old she wouldn't have much free time because of the required care and attention for the baby. This is just one aspect of it. There may be also lack of experience with young babies .

Good luck with your decision and all the best

Aisha
LP73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LP73 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 am

Personally I wouldn't. Most au pairs are young and not formally trained in any way. Do you really want your precious bundle and joy cared for by someone who has no first aid experience or life skills to help deal with situations that may crop up?

Au pairs are great for older children but personally I feel that they are best suited to children who are six years plus. Even though a 'situation is unlikely to happen - would you forgive yourself if your baby had an incident which could have been prevented by someone who was able to deal with the situation?

Au pairs are the cheaper options but as they say you pay for what you get and a child is the most precious thing in the world.
Sea Hibiscus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sea Hibiscus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:12 am

Au pairs aren't meant to care for children under 2 years old; they aren't cheap nannies. They would normally only work 25 hours a week: a couple hours in the morning, before school, and then a few hours after school until parents arrive home. They may also babysit an evening or two a week.

Another poster wrote a comment I agree with: I also think they are suited to older children. Think of them more as an older sibling to your child, not a proxy parent, which for a ten month old, they would undoubtably have to be. An au apair is supposed to have free time to pursue language and cultural enrichment during the day such as English classes.

If you are looking for full day care, then unless it is part time, 2/2.5 days a week, then an au pair is not suitable (unless you are willing to pay them the full rate of a full time live in nanny).

Perhaps if you decide to use a nursery, then the au pair could do nursery pick up and drop off, as well as some light housekeeping during the day. However, au pairs are not meant to care for babies.

I think if you require full day/time childcare for a baby, then a nanny or childminder is better, or a nursery.

MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MGMidget » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:10 am

No, not suitable (except, as already suggested, for drop offs and pick ups to childminder/nursery, or as shared care working alongside mum and possibly as an occasional emergency back up). A 10 month old needs someone who is interested in children and prepared to focus on them as well as having the maturity and life experience to handle whatever crops up. Although they may not admit it, many au pairs aren't particularly keen on childcare, it is a means to an end for them. A 10 month old needs full-on childcare to ensure their needs are met, so even if the hours you need are au pair hours, I wouldn't feel comfortable placing that responsibility on an au pair.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:07 pm

I agree with others no you shouldn't.

If a nanny is not an option because of costs, look at a daycare nursery, nanny share or child minder.
Doman
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Doman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:03 am

Absolutely not.

I was always told that au pairs shouldn't have sole charge of children under 3 (not 2, as some people have said on here). Has that changed?

You could consider a nanny share?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.