Aggressive door to door hawker

22 posts
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Aggressive door to door hawker

Postby juliantenniscoach » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Head's up for a nasty little man who is calling door to door around Northcote Road.

I'm sure most of us have had guys coming door to door selling household goods. The particular set claim they are in some social rehabilitation programme, post prison trying to earn a living and present a flimsy I.D. I'm not usually irritated by this and sometimes buy some some items (even though most of them are overpriced) because I like the idea.

Anyway last night, a guy came round just at tea time (isn't it always?) and I asked him to come back later which he did. He had a very limited range carried in a backpack, which is unusual and I declined to buy anything, which I've done previously without issue.

At this point, on my doorstep, he became very aggressive, swearing and general vague threats about my well being and my family. For those who know me, you'll know I'm not easily intimidated. For those who don't I spent over 8 years in the East End as a Policeman in the 80's so........ After I gave him some advice about his selling technique he went away.

However if it was my wife alone with our children the scenario could have been completely different. The guy was white, late 20's stocky about 5'7". Dark brown, wavy hair and a NE accent. He said he was from Middlesborough which fits.

Please be aware.
NorthcoteLuvvie
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Aggressive door to door hawker

Postby NorthcoteLuvvie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm

We had him too, asked for a "donation" when I declined to buy anything.

Thanks for heads up
40plus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 40plus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:02 pm

This sounds familiar, I had an aggresive caller at the door at dinner time a few weeks ago, he got annoyed when I wouldn't buy, then asked for a donation, then got aggresive by saying " it's alright for you living in a nice house and a roof over your head, I don't know where I'm sleeping tonight", I closed the door quickly and he was just hanging around on the road, thankfully my husband was home, I would have felt quite intimidated had I been home alone with the children. I had 2 different sales callers the next day who were a lot nicer and merely said thank you and walked away when I declined to buy.
MummytoT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MummytoT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:11 am

I'm sure the same chap (from Middlesborough) called at my house a few weeks ago. I told him I had absolutely no cash (which was true) and he said he'd definitely call back next time he was doing the rounds. Bit worried now...
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am

Yep sounds like the fella, easiest thing is to politely not engage and shut the door.

muckyjeans
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby muckyjeans » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:45 am

Pretty sure I had this guy call at my house around this time last year! I was getting out of my car and he crossed the road to meet me and walked to my front door while I was grappling with keys and bags. Apparently he'd already called at the house and spoke to my nanny and daughter and they were unsurprisingly freaked out. He asked me for a donation for ex offenders and when I politely declined he ranted on about what he'd been in prison for and called me a disgusting woman (!) living in a nice house. Have never spotted him since but weird it was same time last year.
Elsa09
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Elsa09 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:54 am

I have had this man at my door. The first time I said I didn't know if I had money, so left the door open and went into the kitchen where my handbag was. I turned around to find he had entered my house and was standing in the kitchen doorway waiting. I was cry unsettled and asked him to leave the house immediately. He made some joke about posh mums and left. I called my husband in tears as I was really shaken up.
The second time he came and when I very politely said I didn't give money out on my doorstep g became cry angry and cry rude. Called me a upper class c**t and I didn't have a clue what he had gone through in his life. Luckily my hubby (big beefy man who has worked in prisons with serious offenders) arrived and he legged it.
Still cry unsettling. I have since installed a entry phone with camera. And I report it to the neighbourhood police.
cyprus19
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cyprus19 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:13 am

Hi.

Have you spoken to the council about the door to door callers. They have been really helpful in our street and while we can't be made a cold caller free zone they have supplied some really strongly worded stickers to put on the front door. Basically saying you don't accept cold callers and if they persist its a criminal offence. Since I've had a sticker on the door the number of people I've had turning up (typically in the middle of bath time!) has dropped dramatically.

It may be worth given them a call.
alias
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby alias » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:30 am

Firstly, how absolutely awful for everyone who has been subjected to the behaviour of such an awful person. Very much hope that you've all recovered from the experience.

I am hoping that I won't cause offence with a gentle reminder (also to myself) that usually the young men and women on the door-to-door schemes are perfectly civil and worthy of our support. As someone said, the items are overpriced but just offer us a way to donate. I hope that this villain won't stop us from continuing to be generous when these youngsters come knocking. At least it keeps us in micro fibre cloths...

Platypus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Platypus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 am

Perfectly civil or not, I'm afraid they are not perfectly worthy of support. It's a known scam, and they prey on the goodwill and generosity of kind strangers. I've fallen for it myself before, when we lived in Islington - there is no shame in wanting to help people who seem to be trying to work their way out of a hole. But the more you buy from them, the more they will prey on others. If you google "door to door scam cleaning product" you'll find a lot of hits, some from police in various areas warning people it's a con. This is a more detailed explanation of what is actually going on:

http://www.safelocaltrades.com/consumer ... m-knockers
Platypus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Platypus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 am

Just unearthed this series of reports from various cities about "Nottingham Knockers" as the scam is known. Honestly, every time you make a purchase you encourage them to keep trying the area. There are genuine schemes to help young offenders - this isn't one of them.

Cambridge: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Notting ... story.html

Lincolnshire: http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Door- ... story.html

Thames Valley: https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/da/ ... _scam.html
alias
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby alias » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:58 am

Oh gosh, how appalling!
Thanks for letting us all know, Platypus.
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:04 am

I agree with Platypus.
This is not a registered scheme worthy of support, and there is no evidence it does anything to help former offenders reintegrate into society. Certainly the anecdotes on here about people being intimidated show that!

If you want to support a cause to help former offenders, can I recommend perhaps making a donation to the Langley House Trust charity, which receives lots of praise for its work with offenders:
http://www.langleyhousetrust.org/

alias
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby alias » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:46 am

Yes, thank you.
I had no idea they are not bona fide. I am obviously a bit gullible. I will go through Langley House from now on.
Platypus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Platypus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:43 pm

alias wrote:Yes, thank you.
I had no idea they are not bona fide. I am obviously a bit gullible. I will go through Langley House from now on.
You have nothing to apologise for. You are a kind person who wants to help others - the ones who should be apologising are the creatures who prey on the goodness of others. Every good thing in this society has happened because there are people out there like you.

Goodness is not something to be ashamed of.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.