Advice on a potential 2 year relocation - impact on kids?

4 posts
twice_as_nice
Options:
Share this post on:

Advice on a potential 2 year relocation - impact on kids?

Postby twice_as_nice » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi,

My husband is potentially looking at a 2 year temporary placement in Australia.

I've always been quite against relocating as I always thought it would be unsettling for the children. My brother moved schools when he was 6 and he didn't settle well at all and he was quite bullied at primary school. This has always coloured my views and I've always said that I'd never move schools once my children were settled.

But obviously that's quite a simplistic way to look at it. And actually now that the older ones are in school, I feel that they would cope with a move quite well. They make friends quite easily and are very adaptable, happy kids. So maybe a move would be beneficial for them, could be a lot of fun and a great experience. My youngest isn't in school yet but I think she would settle well too.

I'd definitely not want to settle there long term and would be keen to make sure he has agreement to come back within 2-2.5 years.

By that stage I think they'd still have lots of friends here so a transition back would be relatively easy for them.

When we come back they would be in year 1 and year 4 or so of primary school.

Does anyone have an experience of this? Or thought about it and decided against it? Or did you relocate for a while as a child and how did that impact on you?

Really interested to hear views! Thanks!
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice on a potential 2 year relocation - impact on kids

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:04 pm

I speak as someone who lived in 13 different houses and attended 7 different schools. It's not going to be particularly helpful advice I'm afraid. It all depends on the character of your children and the school environment they move into.

Your youngest who hasn't started school will have no point of reference so no impact. Your eldest.......well my two elder sisters were very close to my mother and that relationship was crucial to their "settling" in. For me, sports were my way in to the school community. Being successful at sports gained acceptance far easier than others who didn't have an access point.

Bullying does occur anywhere at any level of school, especially to outsiders. Mine was at a private school in Cornwall where I gained entry through the 11+. Had a negative effect on my education but thankfully recovered when we moved again. Again without knowing the character of your children it's impossible to say whether this would be an issue or not.

I have many friends who have lived/worked abroad both on secondment and permanently and consider it a resounding success. Personally, if I had the opportunity, I would take it as I firmly believe travel broadens the mind.

Good luck!
twice_as_nice
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twice_as_nice » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:59 pm

thanks very much, interesting points both of you make
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pod » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi there,
My husband is Australian and we plan to head out there at some point to build a house and live. Our plans have changed based on schooling as in Queensland children don't start school until age 6 so if we headed out there when my daughter turns 4 and came back after two years she'd have effectively missed out on two years of education.
Some states in Oz start school at 5 others at 6 so depends where you're going?
And I echo the other poster too on the costly side of things - far more expensive than London!
But an amazing lifestyle especially outdoors and sports!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.