first bike - is 2 yo too early?

9 posts
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

first bike - is 2 yo too early?

Postby oab » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:14 pm

We are thinking of getting a first bike for our 2yrs old DS (a balance bike, like the isla - i saw several posts on NVN recommeding these).

I am wondering - is he too young for a first bike? Around what age do little ones start on bikes?
He has a tricyle with parent handle, but he has not been too fond of it, i don't know what he'll think of the balance bike.
What are people's experiences on first bikes?

thank you!
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: first bike - is 2 yo too early?

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:50 pm

My MIL got a balance bike for our son at 2 and honestly, he just wasn't strong enough for it at that age so dropped it really quickly.

He is now 4 1/2 and has started asking for a bike with pedals now. He's very confident on his scooter now but wasn't at 2 so I'm thinking of getting him a bike for the summer but will get him to try one out before buying.

See if you can borrow one from someone first to see if he likes it. It can be a hassle lugging a balance bike round the park if they've given up after 5 minutes and are more interested in running around or going to the playground.
MrsSPC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsSPC » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:57 pm

we gave our son a balance bike for his 2nd birthday. It took him a little while to take to it and he didn't show much interest until he was 2 years and 4 months. But by the time he was 2 1/2 and he was cycling circles around us. It's his favourite thing and I am glad we started him young on it!
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm

Thank you so much!
Really like the suggestion of borrowing one beforehand :)

Should we get him a scooter before the bike? Is that easier to learn to ride?
Tigermum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tigermum » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi Oab,

If he does like it, a pair of stabilizers wouldn't go amiss for the first few times and confine him to safe places, garden, parks etc. x

AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm

I honestly think that all kids are different. If your daughter seems really sporty and coordinated to you then go for it.

My daughter is very agile and active naturally. She was flying around the commons on a scooter at 18 months and on her first pedal bike by 2.

My son on the other hand took an eternity to get comfortable on his scooter and then I bought him a balance bike for his 3rd birthday which he's not interested in at all by 3.5 as he says he's not big enough yet. God knows how old he will be by the time he can ride a proper bike with no stabilisers, probably not until he's a teen!!
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm

sorry, I meant your son!
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Not sure if a scooter is easier to ride but you can get a scoot pull which makes things a lot simpler for you to pull them along while they get used to it themselves.
I was beginning to think mine would never get the hang of the scooter but now he flies around on it very comfortably.
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 am

thanks a lot!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.