Shirts for homeless people

7 posts
Azilal10
Options:
Share this post on:

Shirts for homeless people

Postby Azilal10 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi All

My husband recently took it upon himself to "spring clean" his wardrobe and discard a number of shirts that "ahem" no longer fit him. I would usually either sell any unwanted items or pass them on to a charity shop but I recall seeing a documentary on the TV, maybe last year, that followed a charity who supported homeless people getting them back on track and this included giving them appropriate clothes so that they could attend job interviews etc.

Do any of you know any where locally (or indeed nationally) who do this kind of work and would appreciate 10 or so run of the mill work shirts that are still in good nick but looking for a slimmer man to accommodate them?

Many thanks

xx
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Shirts for homeless people

Postby rooting4tooting » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:11 pm

don't quote me here, but i'm kinda sure that both Charity shops (Paws and Oasis) along Trinity Road will give away a suit and shirt to a person that needs the get up for a job interview.
So feel safe and give the shirts to a charity shop.
On a slightly less alteristic line, I did sell well some Stephens Brothers shirts on Ebay a few years ago...
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Dress for Success does what you describe, for men and women (I think the men's side is called something else, but believe they're ultimately one charity). Our office collects for them periodically and I think they are quite good.
Azilal10
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Azilal10 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks both, via the Dress For Success suggestion I came across a charity called SmartWorks - http://www.smartworks.org.uk/ who provide high quality interview clothes, styling advice and interview training to out-of-work women on low incomes.

In view of the fact that they only work with women I called them to see if they know of a similar charity doing the same for men and they suggested a charity called Suited and Booted - www.suitedbootedcentre.org.uk

So I am going to organise sending my husbands clothes to them (and fish out a few of my own for SmartWorks!)

Just thought I'd let you all know in case you want to do the same.....

Many thanks for the suggestions.

xx
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks for letting us know. That's great, and is incentive for me to do a bit of cleaning out, too!

Claire M
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Claire M » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:59 pm

Hello

Sorry to highjack the thread. Just wanted to add that the Ace of Clubs in Clapham ( the homeless centre rather than the shop) is always desperate for things like jeans, tracksuit bottoms, sweatshirts, socks and undies. It really doesn't matter if they have seen better days - it's just nice for people to be able to put on something clean and warm.

Thanks!

Claire
wildatheart
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby wildatheart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:11 am

The Salvation Army Charity Shop on West Hill in Wandsworth gives clothes to people who have nothing. It really is worthwhile

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.