Elective c-section on NHS?

13 posts
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Elective c-section on NHS?

Postby hellokittyerw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Hello

Due to a previous c-section, i will most likely choose an elective c-section (on the NHS).
Does anyone know how often I will see a consultant? I have no complications so far.
Also, can I choose to see the same consultant throughout as well as for the delivery?

I haven't fully decided on which hospital, am considering C&W and St Thomas's.

I've read from other posts on NVN that it is possible to have the same consultant throughout (and even for delivery), however that there are no guarantees...

Thank you!
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Elective c-section on NHS?

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:13 pm

I had an ELCS on the NHS with consultant led care. It was always the same consultant aside from when she was on holiday and consultants were about once a month in addition to all the usual midwife visits.
SFMC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SFMC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 pm

I had an elective c-section for my second. My first was an emergency section. I had no complications with either pregnancy - just the delivery.
My care for my second was much like my first - mostly mid wife visits. A few consultant appointments at the hospital part of which was to determine if I would have an elective c-section for my second. The consultant I saw was the same woman at the hospital - I was suppose to see the senior consultant regarding the final decision regarding the section but in the end he agreed I should have section and this is what I also wanted.
No choice who performed the c-section. They simply booked the date. I met the doctor before the surgery.

Any further questions let me know.

I imagine a private c-seciton it would be a different matter.
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 am

I had an elective, after a first emergency at C&W almost 3 years ago now.

I had to attend a VBAC course, so be prepared for that. They'll try and talk you out of it (in fact I wish I'd listened, but that's a whole other tale).

I had the same consultant throughout pregnancy, but not for delivery - that was a different surgeon, met on the actual day of the op, along with a lovely, lovely midwife who was wonderful.

I would love to try Thomas's as I've heard great things from friends, but as my first was at C&W it seemd easier to go there for the second too.
shaneleone
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby shaneleone » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am

I also had an ELCS on the NHS after a previous one, but at St Georges. I did get a little bit of push-back at first from the midwives, but not the consultants. I think I only had two (maybe three) different appts with the consultant. Saw the same one each time, but then it totally depends on who is working on the day you're scheduled. There was no real continuity throughout my pregnancy but I still felt like I was in great hands with a very large surgical team who were brilliant.

DaniS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DaniS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:54 pm

I am booked in for a c-section next week for my 2nd (first was instrumental delivery hence damage caused to make this one c-section!) I've seen the consultant 3 times and it's been the same person each time. She is also the consultant that did all my follow up appointments post 1st labour surgery. I requested in the first appointment to keep seeing her since she knew me so well so she kept me in her care. I doubt she will be in the surgery though, I believe this is a different team in the hospital? Good luck!
meldoublew
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby meldoublew » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Hello
I just wanted to say that you better check with C&W - as far as I am aware they do not support elective C-sections on NHS anymore. At least that's what the letter said that they sent me along with my first booking appointment at the beginning of the summer… But if it is for medical reasons they will do it of course.
Good luck.
lemonzest
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lemonzest » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:14 pm

I had a planned c-section (for medical reasons, but I guess that's still called ELCS?) at St Thomas's. I saw a registrar, once, to book the date. No consultants until the hospital. So obviously anything can happen ;-)
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Thank you everyone.
I've now decided on C&W.

The midwife i saw for the first appointment said the procedure is to do a VBAC course then see a senior midwife at approx 30 wks to make the decision between Vbac or csection.

Does anyone have further info on the what happens at the appointment with the senior mid-wife? Can they just say no, you cannot choose an elective c-section? Do you also get to see a consultant obsterician for an opinion, or that can only happen if the senior mid-wife wants to refer you to one?
FYI - my first csection was due to fetal distress, so not something that is likely to reoccur (hopefully).

rachel_cosmic
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rachel_cosmic » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi
I had an elective C-sec in Chelsea and Westminster last month. As you say, I had to attend the VBAC course, on a thursday evening, where a midwife explained the pros and cons of having a c-sec and a vaginal delivery to a group of us, and we were then given some information to take home and a phone number to book our one on one appointment.
They can NOT decide for you and they won't. They are very kind and understanding and will do whatever you want. I was very scared of them telling me I had to go for a natural birth after my emergency c-sec with my daughter but the consultant advised I have another c-sec and that was that. The appointment was booked and it was done. No questions and no problems. The midwife will tell you, it's up to you and they'll support your decision, they just want you to make it having all the information beforehand.
I hope that helps :-)
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:58 pm

rachel_cosmic, thanks a lot for the up-to-date info!
At what point did you see the consultant who advised to have a c-sect? After the one to one midwife appointment?
rachel_cosmic
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rachel_cosmic » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi again
I was already seeing a consultant because I had post natal depression after my first daughter (because of the birth, that's why the consultant recommended I didn't try natural) and I was monitored closely, so I can't tell you the usual order of things, but around week 30 you'll see the midwife from the VBAC workshop again on a one on one basis and I guess that then, if you decide you want a c-sec you'll be booked with a consultant who will book your date, give you the information again and have you sign consent forms and all kinds of things. If you don't see a consultant before, it's because they consider you are not high risk or in any kind of trouble. :-)
hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:11 am

thanks a lot!
and congratulations on your new arrival!!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.