Violent Mugging between the Commons in broad daylight

11 posts
CitySlicker
Options:
Share this post on:

Violent Mugging between the Commons in broad daylight

Postby CitySlicker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Just wanted to make people aware that a mugging took place an hour or so ago (14 August) on one of the roads between Broomwood and Thurleigh. It was quite violent, a lone female was choked until she passed out and her bag and phone taken. We have just had the police to the door asking us if we saw anything. (We didn't unfortunately) Although this may be a one off, it does sound a lot like the spate that were occurring last Summer so I urge anyone to be extra vigilant and not get lulled by the false sense of security of daylight.
CitySlicker
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Violent Mugging between the Commons in broad daylight

Postby CitySlicker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:03 pm

oops, today is the 15th August.. :shock:
CBW7779
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CBW7779 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:46 pm

I wonder if anyone else has any information on this please? I do t think the Wandsworth guardian has picked it up (yet)...
Timefortea101
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Timefortea101 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:01 pm

this was reported on the news last night.
bad that this can happen at all let alone in broad daylight.
difficult to protect yourself against this kind of thing, but i remember when there were a few attacks a couple of years ago, they used to attack people (mainly women) as they were putting keys into their front doors - always worth looking over your shoulder beforehand...
Jen66
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jen66 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 pm

that sounds horrific. poor woman, is there a description of the attacker(s) ?

helenmara
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby helenmara » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Very sad and distressing but I suspect the area provides rich pickings for petty criminals from more deprived parts of town. A friend's home got broken into thrice near Malvern road in a gentrifying street in Brixton. They'd only just moved in over a year when this happened now the house is on the market. They'd heard that there was a half-way house for drug addicts in their neighbourhood and that this could be the source. Not sure what to think.
dimelda
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dimelda » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:35 am

This mugging took place in 2014 !! Why is it in your July 2018 newsletter?
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Yes you are right - apologies.

A number of people have mentioned this - we meant to link to this post...

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=96529
sloaney donkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sloaney donkey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:54 pm

The area is rife with all kinds of crime.

I know because I have been robbed, burgled and conned so many times. Makes me sick.

Rich people and lots of goodies attracts all kinds of low life:- Crack heads desparate for money to pay their next fix, removed as this is a word used by spammer addicts who are convinced this one crime will "be their last"', serial jailbirds who don't know "mine from thine", idiots who know no better, school kids with bad upbringing, gangs using slaves to do their cherry picking and pure opportunists who are the most unpredictable of all.

You mug someone and it is £1000 minimum pawning the jewellery

You go down a street at 2am, check every car for the one unlocked and it is £150 selling a Hermes scarf and Giorgio Armani shades on Facebook market place.

Burgle a house and you can make £200-300 stealing lap tops, iPads, a stash of cash (if you are lucky)

Nappy valley = Thieves galore

You have two types of people: those who have been lifted (and careful) and those who haven't (and are sitting ducks).

Always be alert, carry an attack alarm (CS gas is illegal in this country for self-defence) and don't expect the cops to catch the rogue who really messed you up. Alarm your house.

Star
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Star » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:01 am

Surprised there is not CCTV everywhere in Wandsworth as Kensington has had for many years. It's how my sister recovered her laptops etc and were found that day in a crackhouse. Similar disparities between haves and have nots there as here living cheek by jowl, if not more. Tooting feels much safer than Clapham.
boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Criminals don't have physical boundaries, so no area is "safe". Criminals might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but they do know well off areas = homes with more expensive gadgets, jewellery, etc and people walking around with expensive phones and watches.

There really is no solution to this unless we have more police on the streets, CCTV everywhere, but these are not things we individually can do to make ourselves safer.

My tips?
- Don't use your phone while walking. This is just inviting muggers to steal your phone or something else. Its doubly bad because you're distracted and don't see them coming, and they can tell how expensive a phone you have before mugging.
- Assess your front and back door locks, and make sure you have a good one.
- Outdoor / Indoor CCTV units are now cheap and affordable, less than £50 and they stream footage to the cloud. This deters break-ins, and if they do happen, helps the police profile and track down the criminals.
- You can get dummy Yale security system boxes for less than £50 as well, to stick on the outside of your property.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.