Mobile reception between the commons/broadband packages

7 posts
diana78
Options:
Share this post on:

Mobile reception between the commons/broadband packages

Postby diana78 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 am

Dear all,

I know the issue is familiar to a lot of you, but I would be grateful if anyone can comment based on recent experience.

I hardly get any reception on Vodafone at my new place (between the Commons), which is strange as elsewhere in London it is 100% fine. I was curious to see if others have had this issue with Vodafone and solved it switching to different providers? And if so which one would they recommend?

It would probably make sense to get a 'bundle' package - I got something in the post from Virgin Media the other day - any feedback on them?

Thanks much!
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Mobile reception between the commons/broadband packages

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 am

As I understand it, it's the downside of living in between 2 large commons with no masts on them. Therefore Northcote Road and its side streets are a mobile black hole. I don't think this is limited to Vodafone, I think all networks will have the same issue as its a lack of masts not a network problem. Happy to be corrected though as it drives me and my husband mad!
Valleyhat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Valleyhat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:05 pm

We bought Vodafone Sure Signal for £100 and now have no issues.
ally30_1998
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ally30_1998 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:37 pm

I have been on O2 for the last 3 years since i moved here and it has always been rubbish indoors. I recently upgraded to a 4G iPhone on O2 and it does seem to be a lot better.

My son has also had O2 which was rubbish and has just transferred to a 3 sim card, and he is now finally able to take calls indoors (which is great because now our landline isn't ringing all the time while he organises his social life!)

I think what works where really does depend on your location in this area.
I did a bit of informal research by just taking note of when people were able to make and receive calls in my house and what network and phone they were using.

We are on Virgin broadband and I know they do some very good phone deals - but I do know that they used to be a bit limited as they only had a small slice of the bandwidth - that may have changed.

For what it's worth, my sister uses (and has bought all her phones at) Tesco Mobile, as do her husband and kids and it works very well - and she gets a signal in my house!
boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am

If you're looking to switch networks, I would start by seeing which one has the best signal in your house.

You can get free PAYG sim cards delivered from all the major providers. Try them one by one in your phone and walk around your house, noting which network is stronger.

Beware that many "networks" are actually virtual networks. They run on someone else's signal. For example Virgin Mobile don't have their own network, so you should find out which of the big operator networks they are using.

legs11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby legs11 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 am

We live BTC. When we moved here my husband had Vodaphone and I had O2. Both were dire and we couldn't receive or make calls at home. I asked our neighbours and Orange had the best in our area - off Broomwood. I switched and, although the reception is still poor, it's much better.
mlm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mlm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:27 pm

After years of no reception btc (vodafone, orange, o2), we also finally bought Vodafone's Sure Signal. It won't be as perfect as a landline but you definitely get a signal and can use your phone with no issues. Its annoying to have to pay the extra but its well worth it.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.