Beware of ADT scam!

17 posts
northcote dad
Options:
Share this post on:

Beware of ADT scam!

Postby northcote dad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:23 pm

This evening (Friday about 7.45pm) we had a young man knock on our door claiming to be from ADT security and offering a promotion for home security. The questions he asked about what security, alarm system etc that we had in place was all very suspicious and when I asked him to show me a business card of course he wasn't able to produce any. Sensing it was a scam to determine how secure our house was as a potential break-in target I told him that I wasn't interested in whatever he had to offer and closed the door.

I promptly called the local police to advise them of the suspicious activity. This was on Honeywell Road and he was mid-20s, white with short cropped hair and dressed in a sharp suit with collar and tie.

Please be vigilant in case he is checking out other houses between the commons.
8han
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Beware of ADT scam!

Postby 8han » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:53 am

I saw him knocking on doors on Streathbourne Rd a few days ago.
mumandmore
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumandmore » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:42 am

I saw a pair on Bramfield rd this evening. They were outside a house at 5pm and then on the corner at 7pm again. As you say there was a wht caucasian guy in suit and an Afro Caribbean guy with him. As we passed both times I said to my husband that they looked very suspicious.
lamj1974
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lamj1974 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh my god I thought that was odd. They came to my house and were so so pushy. They were 2 Asian guys. Again we live of the northcote road. Annabel is this something you can highlight on the newsletter?
Jibberty
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jibberty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:33 pm

We had them in Furzedown last week. Two different chaps a couple of days apart. Rather rude as well.

Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Will do!
snowpea
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby snowpea » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 pm

I worried about this and called ADT who confirmed that they do cold call / dorr to door in SW London but they could not confirm if they ones who visited BTC last year were genuine or not. Useless.
Sallydot
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sallydot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 am

We had two down Airedale Road on the same day: one for fire safety and the next ADT. Never buy anything at the door.
abbeville2
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby abbeville2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:08 am

They are making the rounds in Abbeville as well. 1 time it was two gentlemen with suits and clipboards and the next was 1 Asian man. Who to report it to?

popcorn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby popcorn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:40 pm

OMG, they came to my house too.
It was a young, skinny, tall guy with ADT vest on top of his suits.
He's asking me how my husband and I are working, the property is renting or our own house, when he is coming back home... etc. He said, want to introduce new security system that belongs to the tenant, not the house.
As other lady mentioned, this guy was quite pushy too. And he was almost begging me to listen to him. I said, "ok just listen..."

And then he's tried to come inside of the house. He said he want to sit down and fill up the form. I was scared and shut the door.
He didn't even show me his ID to start with.
We were planed to go 1wk holiday next day, so I was really scared to leave home. I've told all my neighbors and luckily nothing has happened.

I had couple of guys trying to sell organic vegetable as well. they were asking for C card details to get free samples(at the door)... I hope nobody didn't have any problems with those guys too.
sixfootredhead
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sixfootredhead » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Yep, they visited SW12 last week too but probably won't try my house again!

I am suspicious of anyone knocking on my door selling anything and I have heard about these security scams before. Whether or not this is a scam I told them that if they thought I would be giving a random stranger information about my home security system that they must have rocks in their head. I ended our brief encounter by telling them the only thing they should be aware of is that we have a very sophisticated alarm system that is hooked up to the police station and that I therefore didn't need anything from ADT.

That seemed to do the trick.
cookie
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cookie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Just had somebody knocking on doors claiming to be from ADT in Astonville Street in Southfields so it's still going on...
ElisabethDobson
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ElisabethDobson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 pm

This has just happened to us on Quinton street, young Asian girl putting on an American accent, beware.

Flump2013
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flump2013 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 pm

I have just had an Afro Carribean man in a high viz vest knock at my door. He was very pushy and said he would come back. Thankfully my dog hates people in high viz, so barked a lot and sounded scary. I will get my husband to deal with him later.
Thanks for the warning.
missamyrose
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby missamyrose » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 pm

I've just had a young australian lady come round and do the same thing at about 17:30pm

Mentioned an offer which is closing down in Wandsworth this Friday offering equipment for a low low price.

I've phoned up ADT and they said it does sound very likely that it is an agent as they have cold callers knocking on doors which are operated by a third-party agency. If you do have a call and would like to confirm that is genuine the agencys number is 01932 743211. They do close at 5pm though.

I did find it very odd, and was very wary. I did not like that she was asking me questions about the occupants of the house, if we were security aware, what type of let it was and if she could come in. I did NOT let her in. Whether it is people scoping out the security of your house for potential breakins or genuine reps acting on behalf of ADT, who in their right mind is going to let a perfect stranger into their house and make themselves vulnerable to the possibility?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.