vit supplements for children?

17 posts
Honeymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

vit supplements for children?

Postby Honeymummy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 am

Hello, would anyone know which vitamin supplements (multivitamins or something containing at least Vit D) are good for a 7 year-old? I bought Dalivit on dietician's advice but it says it's for toddlers, hence a bit confused?!
Thanks
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: vit supplements for children?

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:55 am

Hi no wish to offend but..................I've done loads of nutrition courses in my tennis/sports exams and unless your 7 year old has specific deficiency there is no evidence to support vitamin supplements. All necessary requirements can be achieved through a normal balanced diet. Save your money instead.
Honeymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Honeymummy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 am

I'm not playing doctors here. She has food allergies and needs those supp.
laurettajones
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby laurettajones » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 am

Hi there are supplements for children and please seek doctors advise first but there seems to be a shortage of vitamin d in the UK at present as we are having poor seasons particular summer and doctors are noticing more bone related illnesses. So please book appointment and i do believe in extra supplements for children and helps them maintain a balanced well being as foods cannot always do this especially in form of vitamin d this has come said by the families doctor. Thank you great topic discussion. Good luck l x
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Locally you could go into Dandelion Health Food store on Northcote Road. They have a great range of well sourced supplements available and give good advice.

klw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby klw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:46 pm

My son is dairy intolerant and has been prescribed abidec by a dietician. They said the current thinking is that all children in the uk should take this supplement as it gives 100% of rda of vitamin D. However funding issues mean that they only prescribe to 'at risk' groups, such as those with allergies.

Lack of sunlight ( concerned parents slapping on sun cream) is apparently as much to blame as diet. I have been told to make sure my children get direct sunlight as much as possible and to moderate sun cream use in the summer (obviously using common sense, not when it's midday on a 35 degree day!)

I am not a doctor and am only talking from our experience. I would really recommend talking to a dietician if concerned.
readbooks
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby readbooks » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 pm

It looks like Dalivit changed their packaging. I used to buy it for my son and I remember the instructions gave a certain dosage for babies and another for children and adults (something like 7 drops up to 12 months, 14 drops for older children and adults).
I don't know whether the product has actually changed, but I get the feeling it might be just a new marketing strategy aiming the product specifically at younger children.

This was taken from the nhs website:
'All babies and young children aged six months to five years should take a daily supplement containing vitamin D in the form of vitamin drops, to help them to meet the requirement set for this age group of 7-8.5 micrograms of vitamin D per day.'

It looks like a child up to the age of 5 would have the same needs as a toddler and the same vitamins would be fine. I don't know how old your son is but I'm sure any pharmacist could advise.
Honeymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Honeymummy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks for all the advices. The pharmacist told me it was fine but I was confused by the packaging.The dietician decided to cut donw by half on her medicated milk ('because she's growing up') that used to cover her full nutrition.
I find it difficult to give her enough through non-dairy/egg-free/nut-free foods and she is not keen on food! I've got those list of alternative foods how many of each can complete her daily requirements in calcium, iron etc but it is really a struggle every day - since they cut down the milk she keeps getting ill, then antibiotics, tired, ill again...- her next appt in next month and hope to get some negative tests in milk as it was quite low last time...
NB: I've heard that too about VIT D, dietician said to give her VIT D supp in winter.
Mrs Contractor Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mrs Contractor Mum » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 am

My pharmacist suggested Optibac for Children while he is on antibiotics and to continue for 5 days after the course has finished. It comes as a powder sachet which can be mixed in a drink.
It is a great probiotic and keeps the good bacteria/ flora in the gut which antibiotics tend to destroy. It stops him from being wiped out and really seems to aid the recovery.
I would check first with your dietician whether it is suitable for your son though.

Kitkat04
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kitkat04 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

Re suncream, not obsessing does not include not worrying if they are a tiny bit pink. That is far more dangerous than a lack of vitamin D. Most children who are vitamin D deficient simply just don't spend enough time outside.
Kitkat04
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kitkat04 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Nope, it was adding to the discussion, hence didn't say "petal".
I see a lot of children running around with pink (burnt) skin and some people think that if it goes the next day it's ok and the sun is good for them. Even people who I would credit with having a lot of common sense. Because I have had melanoma so am in the zone and know several people who have died from it and know that most damage occurs in childhood I thought it might be a helpful addition to the discussion. You can disregard anything that you don't think is personally helpful or applicable in this public forum!
lotus
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lotus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:38 am

hi and sorry for bring up this old thread but my question is the same - turned out our son has a vitamin B deficiency and is always listless. our GP recommended taking vitamins, pure shilajit resin and supplements and that's what we are doing but since then I started reading a lot about vitamins and supplements and found an interesting statement - our body absorbs vitamins from food better than from supplements. is it better for us to et advice from a dietician or nutritionalist rather than from our GP??
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Go to Planet Organic or Wholefoods. There are now lots of food-based supplements which are better absorbed, including ones for kids.

Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Avoid Abidec as it is made with peanut oil. My son was prescribed them after his first allergy appointment but luckily I noticed!
carolinewnatural
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby carolinewnatural » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:27 am

Hi!

I'm Caroline, from Windfall Natural, the natural goods & supplements shop opening soon on 92 Northcote Rd!

You're more than welcome to pop in store after January 4th to chat about this with one of our qualified nutritionists! We're a tight-knit passionate team and our consultations are very genuine, to really understand your/your childs needs. We also just love talking about this stuff :)

AND we will have a whole line of organic, natural supplements especially designed for children.

By the way, not all supplements are made equal, some formulations work much better than others, so I'd highly recommend the expert advice on this ;-)

I don't mean to sound salesy - I really love that you guys are having these important convos! Excited to soon be part of this like-minded neighborhood!

Cheers!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.