What DO we want on Northcote Road???

530 posts
emanu_ela
Share this post on:

Re: What DO we want on Northcote Road???

Postby emanu_ela » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 am

I'd like to see either a cupcake cafe...like C&D or a lingerie shop (Intimissimi)
bamse
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bamse » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 am

I would love a post office. I know I'm being lazy but find the nearest a little too far away (especially as they always seem closed when I get there). I wouldn't mind a better supermarket too.
mlm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mlm » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm

My understanding is the little post office on Alfriston which has had a makeover will now have extended hours.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:35 pm

not forgetting the Post Office counter on Webbs Road and the other one on Lavender Hill by the Birdhouse.
schoolgatesmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby schoolgatesmum » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Not forgetting that there used to be a post office on Northcote Road (it's now Jack Wills). It's all very well wanting independent shops but if people don't use them they will close and then we'll only have chains on Northcote Road. Use independents - don't get everything from the supermarket - simple!

Jam Organic
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jam Organic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:22 am

yes all those shops would be lovely, but the only problem is rent that is well over £35k plus business rates £10K so not many can afford to pay £45k (+ employ stuff) , when you have not so many clients that's a lot. You need at least £200 of turnover to make some money out of it unless someone is happy to work just for a sake of working. Can you make it ? :(
imnotyou
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby imnotyou » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 pm

WE NEED A GOOD CAKE SHOP... YUM YUM
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 pm

There's a new shop opening at the Broomwood end called Everyone Bikes. I assume it will be more family orientated (you'd think) rather than lycra clad mamils like me. Watch this space.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

So my life's mission to keep this thread alive continues ;)

Jo-Jo Maman Bebe had closed and unsure of what's going to take it's place, anyone know?

The brand spanking new patisserie has opened. But ok, I don't really eat cakes (anymore, despite what my DD's & DW say!) but am I right in thinking, it just makes one cake in various sizes? Is that it really? I guess they must be successful at it given their rates etc must be toward £100k. I just wish I had such a simple plan :idea:

The Northcote Fish & Chip shop is not closing, thankfully. But it is being refurbished. Talking of Fish Bars the upmarket(?) one on Battersea Rise looks pretty shut and the paint there must only just be dry. Anyone know the story?

Yumea the oriental next door has a planning notice to be a late licence bar so a tremendous bar crawl can be had in about 150m of the junction of Battersea Rise and Northcote Road. Pity I gave up drinking when John Major was in power then!

Battersea handyman moved from Webbs into the vacant Galleria site. Webbs is under a lot of renovation and I hope something bright and new comes along. Artelier(sp) is being converted back into flats I understand and it would be a little sad if it all returned to residential.

Anyone else with any rumours, news, updates, feel free to 'bump' in.

CBW7779
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CBW7779 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm

I spoke to the guys who run the Battersea Rise fish shop just 3 weeks ago and was Intending to go back as the food was fab and they were really lovely friendly guys, so I'm very sorry if they're not still open? Can anyone confirm perhaps? In terms of the impediments to running a business I was shocked and a bit depressed to hear that they'd had, separately in the last 6 months 1. Their van stolen, 2. Their shop burgled and 3. Their front door smashed during the day in broad daylight by someone who then ran off (they weren't caught). I dont know if the door issue might be why people have thought they are closed, but if they're still going do try them out as we loved the food!
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 am

I posted a separate thread on this but assuming this one is more read - just wanted to say I bought a bike from Everyone Bikes on Northcote Road and was very impressed with how friendly, helpful and non-pushy they were. They let you take the bikes out to test and say they have a female focus so are not as intimidating as your average bike shop if you don't know much about bikes. They have a workshop for repairs and servicing and sell lots of accessories. I'm not connected with them in any way I hasten to add - just a satisfied customer.

I too don't understand how the meringue shop is going to work. Is it aimed at the French community?
Tonsleymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tonsleymummy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am

The White Company and TheLittle White Company. Would be much easier than having to park than Sloane Square, and much cheaper.!
twobusyboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twobusyboys » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

To add another recommendation - we tried the new Cornish Tiger at the top of Battersea Rise last week. The food was really good and a great wine list too. Only problem was we were the only people in there, so it was a little lacking in atmosphere. Hopefully once word spreads though, they will get a little busier. Definitely worth a visit.

Meringue place is a strange one - the cakes are quite nice but definitely seems a bit of a one trick pony. Will be interesting to see how they get on over the next few months.

bamse
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bamse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:46 am

I think the other pregnancy clothing shop is closing down as well (the one that used to be pretty pregnant). Does anyone know about the baby room on northcote? Surely the space is too small to use as a nursery?
outnumbered
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby outnumbered » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:50 am

I just wanted to agree with twobusyboys about Cornish Tiger on Battersea Rise. I went there last night with some class Mums and we had a delicious supper. The menu is great - a good mixture of things from bar snacks and tasty starters to salads (big or small) and then a good choice of main courses (I had cumin seared lamb with a coriander mash - delicious). The theme seems to be good English produce (Cornish) with an Asian influence (Tiger). Staff were good and they've done it up really well - fresh and contemporary but still comfortable and inviting - think church chairs, exposed brickwork and good art on the walls. I think it's just the kind of place we need around here. Reasonably priced and good, interesting food. I agree on the need for a bit more atmosphere. We were a fairly big group which helped give it a bit of a buzz. Maybe some kind of background music would help (though not too loud - getting old!)!

And on the subject of what else we need on Northcote Road, I know we're supposed to be supporting independent as much as we can but I've always thought a Gap would be great - even if it just stocked a really well chosen range for the local area. Basics for men, women and kids as well as some more exciting good work and 'going-out' clothes for us girls.