3 posts
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Crossrail 2 Update

Postby papinian » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Just posting a link to this article from this morning's CityFM:

http://www.cityam.com/267275/crossrail- ... iness-case

It says that in the business case which TfL sent to the government in March, and seen by City A.M., the proposed station at Balham has been dropped with the business case going for the Tooting Broadway option.

Judging from previous threads, I believe the choice of Tooting Broadway over Balham will meet with the approval of the majority of posters here, both those from Tooting and those from Balham.

However, perhaps the bigger issue is whether Crossrail 2 will proceed at all now. The £1 billion of English taxpayers' money which the Conservative Party has agreed to bribe the Democratic Unionist Party to vote for Theresa May has to come from somewhere after all ...
Nev123
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Crossrail 2 Update

Postby Nev123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I spotted this too. I've spoken to Crossrail 2 recently and whilst they wouldn't confirm they'd picked Tooting that was what was hinted at quite heavily so I wasn't at all surprised by this article. Although of course nothing is final until the government pull their finger out and make a decision. Bearing in mind the route announcement and next round of consultation should have happened last autumn the project is already hugely delayed. As the OP states with Brexit who knows if it'll ever happen. For the sake of certainty I do wish something was announced though.
BBens
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Crossrail 2 Update

Postby BBens » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Interesting. FWIW I think that regardless of who is in power, the economic, political and social reality is big ticket infrastructure will be prioritised in the North of the country. This means that Crossrail2 could easily be delayed 10 years.

The best solution is to have a cross party group deciding on these key decisions. The country has faffed for the last 50 years on important infrastructure. It may not feel like it but compared to the rest of the world the UK generally gets reasonable value for money from our projects. It's just that we take so long reaching the decision.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.