Italian adventures

16 posts
NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Italian adventures

Postby NP1981 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm looking to plan a late summer holiday with my husband to Italy, after our 2 week honeymoon on the amalfi coast last year. I've heard good things about puglia but not sure where to start... open minded but thinking 2centre trip in same region, like being able to walk to restaurants/people watch in the evening, and would love a decent beach. Thanks!
Sharron
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Italian adventures

Postby Sharron » Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Was in Puglia last Sept. Unofrtunately just 4 days - quite insufficient, Puglia is amazingly beautiful!
Our base was Bitonto - a beautiful town some 10 km from Bari. The best was they had a fast train taking you to Bari in 20 minutes so this made evening visits to Bari much much more pleasant (impossible to find parking spot in Bari center, do not attempt to go with car..)
In Bitonto old city there were a few options on Airbnb and I'm so glad we stayed there! We were staying at a former castle..The old city is amazing, a labyrinth of old houses, so so lovely..
We rented a car to go around, headed north of Bari and were stopping anyplace we wanted to see.Barletta had a very nice sandy beach I think - we were not there for the beach though so cannot confirm for sure where to go.
We visited Alberobello (amazing), Locorotondo and Ostuni. but I feel there was so much more left and looking forward to revisiting.
I'm sure you'll have an amazing vacation there!
Gogotsch
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gogotsch » Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Alberobello is amazing. Stay in some typical "trulli" to enjoy the full experience. For example: http://www.fascinoanticotrulli.com/en/
If you then want to also enjoy some amazing beaches I suggest either the Otranto Area on the east cost, or Gallipoli area on the west coast. Both are amazing little towns with some outstanding beaches nearby. Stay in a "masseria" if you can, which is typical farmhouses now converted to b&b, some of which are 5 stars so plenty of choice according to your taste and budget.
NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:08 pm

thank you so much for the advice! the husband doesn't seem to realize that planning the perfect holiday takes hours of research! much appreciated! :)
Dricolina
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dricolina » Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 am

Hi there,

Have a look in this website www.cinqueterre.it
And consider going to Cinqueterre, it is one of the most beautiful places in Italy, just like Amalfi Coast.

NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 am

I will definitely take a look! Thank you!
lua
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lua » Wed May 31, 2017 11:00 am

Hi NP1981

Puglia is amazing! Highly recommended.
My sister has a fabulous trullo that she rents out and I think they have some late summer availability. I am a bit biased but it really is wonderful! We have been there a couple of times and can't wait to go back. They have posted here before,search for Capo di Gallo.

You can also check it out here www.capodigallo.com

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more
LG's mama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LG's mama » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 am

Hi! I'm following this post intently as we are looking to also visit the Puglia area in Italy this summer. Only thing is we also have a toddler in tow. Any suggestions on where best to stay? I'm thinking a boutique style hotel with a suite? Thanks!
orangeplum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby orangeplum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 am

Try Long Travel. Small independent travel agent who are experts in Puglia. They have a range of Trulli as well as hotels all across the region. They can help you find exactly what you need.

Www.long-travel.co.uk

NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Speaking to long travel now and they seem super helpful!! Thanks!!
NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 pm

All booked! 3 nights in lecce, 7 at a beach hotel. Looks fabulous. Thank you all xx
orangeplum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby orangeplum » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi

That's great news. Where are staying by the beach? Did you book via Long Travel?

Have a fab time.
Red5
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Red5 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:57 am

Be mindful that on a lot Italian beaches you have to pay, there are free sections but that's where all the cigarette butts and rubbish collect :shock:
This is mainly northern Italy and Tuscan coast, some beautiful coastline just beyond the Amafi coast, we stayed in a small town called Palinuro and the beaches were beautiful. Try agriturismo places they are pretty good and the food is always locally sourced or produced on sight, we had homemade wine..wow it was amazing

NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:59 pm

orangeplum wrote:Hi

That's great news. Where are staying by the beach? Did you book via Long Travel?

Have a fab time.

we are staying at Canne Bianche near Fasano! cannot wait!
NP1981
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NP1981 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Red5 wrote:Be mindful that on a lot Italian beaches you have to pay, there are free sections but that's where all the cigarette butts and rubbish collect :shock:
This is mainly northern Italy and Tuscan coast, some beautiful coastline just beyond the Amafi coast, we stayed in a small town called Palinuro and the beaches were beautiful. Try agriturismo places they are pretty good and the food is always locally sourced or produced on sight, we had homemade wine..wow it was amazing
we are used to this! generally pay for loungers etc to get a good spot, and worth every penny! thank you for flagging though - appreciated! :-)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.