Holiday with a 5 month old - good or bad idea?

21 posts
JT82
Options:
Share this post on:

Holiday with a 5 month old - good or bad idea?

Postby JT82 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi all,

Is it a crazy or good idea to take a 5-6 month old on holiday this summer? I thought it would be quite stressful but I was recently told its easier when they are young and not moving around yet. Does anyone have any advice and recommendations of hotels to stay in Europe? Looking for something more on the boutique side but obviously ok with babies.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Mrsmac35
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Holiday with a 5 month old - good or bad idea?

Postby Mrsmac35 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:00 am

Hi,
My little one is a bit older... So can't give you any advice on the baby bit but Martinhal in Portugal is amazing! Also hear great things of the Sani resort in Greece.
If you decide to stay in the uk the luxury family hotels are amazing and very family friendly. We went to new park manor in the new forest and would definitely recommend it.
Check out smith and family website too
Good luck!
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 2009Kat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 am

Go for it! 5 month old will be fine - you can cart around easily, sleeping in pram at mealtimes, they'll probably not be weaned so no worrying about baby meals, and probably in some sort of predictable routine (i.e. You'll know when they're likely to sleep/eat etc).
Toddlers are a different kind of fun so make the most!
pepper
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pepper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 am

Go for it! So easy with smaller, sleeps in the buggy while you have a dinner or drinks and you can go anywhere. We went with 10 weeks old and it was all good. I was breastfeeding that time so I didn't have to do much. Enjoy your holidays, we usually go from Thomson, look for the family resorts so you find everything for kids, softplay, entertainment, baby room, nursery, kids club etc.
EmmaB
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby EmmaB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 am

it is the easiest time to travel with babies so would definitely recommend. I have an apartment that I rent out in Menorca - set overlooking the harbour, beautiful gardens and swimming pool. very family friendly and easy journey. let me know if you would like more details.

JT82
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JT82 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks to all for your replies! I'm definitely motivated to book our holiday for sooner rather than later now. I breast feed too so hopefully this will make it easier too. Pre baby we tended to go to adult only places so not sure where to start looking! Have seen Mr and mrs smith family. Any other recommended 'luxury' accommodation which doesn't scream family kids club (we won't need it yet with baby so young, will save that for later!) but allows for example, prams in the restaurant and where you don't feel bad if your baby cries?

EmmaB, would love to hear more about your villa! I'm also eagerly checking out the recommendations already made, thank you! x
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Another vote for Sani & a great time to go before they start moving etc.

http://www.sani-resort.com/en_GB/our-ho ... beach-club
monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes. Very easy to travel with a baby and true independent hotels will generally be very accommodating.
We only go to boutique hotels and have seen babies there many times. You can see all my recommendations on my blog which I created specifically to show that having kids didn't mean saying good bye to chic hotels.
All Mediterranean countries also love kids so you'll be welcome in Italy, France, Spain, Greece etc.
For stylish family holiday ideas in hotels and villas with pools, visit https://fromthepoolside.com
norfolkgirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby norfolkgirl » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 am

I'm currently in the Caribbean with our 4.5 month old. She's slept in the buggy each evening while we've had dinner and everyone in the hotel knows her, she's a little celeb. It has been the best break for me ever. I've nearly finished a book and done yoga every morning. We've taken her swimming without the hassle of a London commute. And best of all her daddy has spent loads of time with her. Definitely book something! She's been a bit grumpy when it's been really hot but I've just retreated to the cool room for a while.

We found our hotel on Mr and Mrs Smith, they're so helpful and called the hotel to check babies were allowed. We've never had a disappointing hotel when booking with them.

Another company that looks great but I've never used is Baby Ftiendly Boltholes - http://www.babyfriendlyboltholes.co.uk
They flyered BTC a few years ago.

JT82
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JT82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 am

Hi Norfolkgirl,

Thanks for sharing your success story! So pleased to hear it's working out brilliantly, sounds like bliss. I have just a couple of days ago booked a place via Mr and mrs smith too and the hotel has been really helpful in confirming they welcome babies including having the pram in the Michelin star restaurant! Fingers crossed she will settle in the evenings, otherwise the hotel has offered to sort out room service for us if needed. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and the sunshine!
JT82
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JT82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:41 am

Hi Monaco

I checked out your blog, I really enjoyed it and some great recommendations. And the place I finally booked is also on your blog too :)
monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh im glad and thank you for taking the time to come back here and saying that.
So where are you going? Can you tell us?
For stylish family holiday ideas in hotels and villas with pools, visit https://fromthepoolside.com
JT82
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JT82 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 am

I booked a place in Provence

http://m.domainedefontenille.com

So far the hotel has been super helpful!

monaco
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby monaco » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 pm

You'll be very happy. My brother stayed there last summer as you saw and they were very good with families. Make sure to choose the eight bedroom.
outnumbered
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby outnumbered » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:27 pm

We had a couple of great holidays at The Almyra in Cyprus when the children were younger. We booked through Tots Too who still work with them, I think. http://www.almyra.com/

Ideal for going slightly out of school holiday season as the weather is warm already. They're very baby friendly and you used to be able to even book ahead things like bottles/nappies/wipes and so on so it's all waiting for you in your room, and travel cots and babysitting were never an issue. For slightly older kids they have a lovely kids' club that's not too big. You can use it for just a morning or afternoon session while you sneak to the gorgeous spa pool and area (child-free) to relax.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.