Best app games for toddlers

21 posts
hworsley
Options:
Share this post on:

Best app games for toddlers

Postby hworsley » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm catching a flight next week with my two year old and wanted to refresh my iPad with some nice apps for her to play on. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Glennmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Best app games for toddlers

Postby Glennmama » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:54 am

My 2 1/2 year old LOVES the Cbeebies app.
FTFinder
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FTFinder » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Hello,

Travelling Apps are a must! check the latest best free apps for travelling toddlers on familytripfinder.com blog http://blog.familytripfinder.com/2015/0 ... s-under-5/
Happy travelling! ;)
JuDubey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JuDubey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm

I would recommend any of the Sago Mini apps - my 3 year old loves them and they can be funny - there is a new drawing app and others that are fun to play with.
Purple_sage
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Purple_sage » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:37 pm

"Doodoo pad - drawing pad for kids" is my toddler's favourite. It has a free lite version in the App Store which is what we've got

MMmmm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MMmmm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Following.
hworsley
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hworsley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:31 am

Bit of an unhelpful and harsh response Geo72.

For anyone that is interested we downloaded the sago mini apps which she absolutely loved and many of them educational and could be done together with myself or my husband.

And for the record, we did take books as well but there's only so many you can carry in your hand luggage!
Rodent
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Rodent » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:28 pm

What a ridiculous comment from Geo72. There are times, like travelling, in an sensitive environment like hospital etc when they need to sit quietly and the Ipad is excellent for keeping them happy and still. Its not a replacement for reading, but nor does the original poster ask for one, she specifically asks for travelling. Why are people on the internet so happy to be rude for no good reason?

Anyhow.

My 2 year old LOVES the duplo games - free on app store!
Rodent
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Rodent » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 pm

Geo72,

Firstly, the original poster specifically said she was looking for apps to use on a plane. This therefore has no bearing on her willingness or lack of, to read with their child. Its a short term temporary solution to keep a child happily occupied on a plane.

Secondly, if I could be bothered, I'm sure I could find an equal number of web links to promote the use of ipads for children, not just including the fact that most schools use them in many ways as learning aids.

Thirdly, from a personal point of view, I was diagnosed with breast cancer when my daughter was 11 months. I have spent a great deal of time in hospital waiting rooms and on occasion, I need to take her with me. I can't take an endless stack of books, stickers, toys, paper and pens. Being a cancer centre, there are plenty of people being given really awful news, and having a lively toddler in the waiting room can in some cases cause extra stress on these people. Ditto, when I am in an appointment with my own Oncologist I need to be able to give my full attention to understand what is happening to me and my treatment. Amongst the varying things I take to occupy my daughter is the ipad. From about 20 months onwards she has enjoyed playing games on it.

I make no apologies if that's how you see it then yes, I use it "to plug a dummy in my child's brain".

But, I can only speak for myself to say that the ipad is used sparingly for these occasions. Its not like its used every day for 2 hours a day, every day. Its useful, amongst other things, for her to do when being made to sit in a small room for sometimes, long periods of time, something that is well known to be against all instincts of a toddler.

Ferrywind
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ferrywind » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:14 am

There's lots of free colouring apps that my daughter enjoys (easier than pens on a plane!) I also took one of those pads where you use a pen you fill with water to colour in the pages- usually they have clouded up again by the time they have done all the pictures and can re-start. Good luck with the flight.
I am obviously unlike Geo72 as would prefer not to spend my whole flight listening to parents reading aloud to pre-schoolers- or maybe they think everyone enjoys their little darlings as much as he/ she does!
Using an app to keep your child quiet on a plane is irrelevant to their links - none of which show that a couple of hours in the I-pad does any harm.
Nowhere has anyone here stated this is instead of reading or playing with their children the other 99% of the time so not sure why the judgemental response was necessary.
Pet peeve of mine when someone comes on here to ask for advice re something practical and gets someone's personal opinion instead (there was another recently where a mum asked for recommendations for a girls make up party and got chastised for letting them play with make up)
If you don't have anything nice to say- move to another thread. Unless someone has asked for opinions- no need to rebuke them for theirs!
(Lots of threads here where people are asking for opinions so knock yourself out on those Geo ;)
Broken Dad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Broken Dad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:47 pm

screens are dreadful things for all of us.
iPads are some of the very worst things invented.
Parents who give this crap to children are not displaying good parenting skills and by doing it in public are setting a very poor example to us all.

There is no nice way of putting this.
Broken Dad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Broken Dad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:48 pm

yes I have noted that the Twitter mob mentality can rule here

People think that it is something new but I recall reading a book about people with pitchforks by a nice lady called Mary Shelley.
It as old as the hills and in America they call them lynch mobs with an emphasis on "mob" whereas in the UK we stopped this when we enacted the Witchcraft Act 1735. :lol:
Broken Dad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Broken Dad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 pm

most people here will still ask if there is an app for it

Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Argh what is wrong with some people! Why must you impose your holier than though attitudes on everyone! Perhaps if you got of your high horses you'd realise the question was not whether people think iPads are good for children or not, but rather if anyone knows any good apps. Your opinion is totally irrelevant.

One of my daughters has just turned 3 and enjoys the duck duck moose apps, the monkey preschool playbox apps and the Mickey Mouse math challenge apps. There are some good peppa pig ones too. There is a good Disney storybook apps where you can record your own stories and it plays them back to you- my eldest daughter loves that one too.
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi Original Poster

To answer your question rather than judge it, my little one loves In The Nightgarden, not an app per se obviously but you can download episodes to the ipad from BBC iPlayer. I bought some Peppa Pig episodes on itunes also as I couldn't download them from iplayer, they tend to amuse for a while too.

Best of Luck on your flight and I hope you don't feel bullied by previous posts; for me there are days when the iPad is a lifesaver, not just on a plane, I'm sure my little one is going to end up with all sorts of problems later in life!! :lol: x

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.