Full time nursery places for 3 year olds

4 posts
New Wandsworth mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Full time nursery places for 3 year olds

Postby New Wandsworth mum » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:56 pm

I've recently been offered a full time nursery place in September for my daughter. She would attend every day from 9am-3pm. She turns 3 in June and am concerned this would be too much for her, I also would have less time with her before she starts school. However she may also enjoy it and 3 hours is not a lot of time when I factor the going back and forth. We would go back to the school at 3pm to collect my son, who will be in reception. Am not sure what to do and wanted to know if anyone has experiences of their three year old doing the same. My son has been doing mornings which for the first term definitely seemed enough. Would appreciate any thoughts!
Marketing Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Full time nursery places for 3 year olds

Postby Marketing Mum » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Wow,

I am sitting here writing this with my almost 2 year old and 3 year old playing nearby. It has been a great blessing to share each and every day with them and watch them grow at their own pace. If they need me I am there.

I know people who sent their child to 15-30 hour nursery sessions from age 2. I think many are under pressure to do this due to work, responsibilities and sometimes just tiredness or convenience.

I am not sure that the push for early education is going to be lauded in generations to come. I think we are all keen to export our children out of the home.

Trust in your instincts, experience and role as a the only mother your child has. In decades to come the nursery nurse, play assistant and teacher (often women who similarly need their children in full-time childcare so they can look after other peoples children) will not be the ones they will look in the eyes as an adult.
soph
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby soph » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:17 pm

I am sure your child will benefit hugely from the social interaction that nursery brings and the activities they do that you would never do at home. It is a longer day, but with nurseries it is not obligatory hours, so you can pick her up early until she has settled and is used to the rhythm. Both mine went to nurseries, not full time, but for similar ish hours and its hugely beneficial for everyone and makes the other time you spend with them very special which makes for happy mum and happy kids! Unlike the previous poster, I believe children benefit from being with other role models, not just their parents! ;)
lemonzest
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lemonzest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:52 pm

My daughter has a May birthday, and went full-time in a primary school nursery at 3. She absolutely adored it, and thrived! They're pretty relaxed in the nursery class; it's learning through play. I think the part-time/full-time question depends on the child, though - she is definitely an extrovert, and I'm not sure my youngest will be the same.

I'll admit I wasn't unhappy at being able to take home more than £30-40 a month from my work, either, which is what I currently make after childcare!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.