Advice from people with nannies about nursery/pre-school

20 posts
manta
Options:
Share this post on:

Advice from people with nannies about nursery/pre-school

Postby manta » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am

Hi everyone,

We've got a 2 year-old and a pretty much full-time nanny who we love. We're hoping he'll go to one of the local state-school nurseries like Henry Cavendish from next January when he's 3.

For anyone who has been in the same situation, did you send them to any other nursery before they were 3? My mum reckons 3's too old for starting nursery...

Please share your experience and advice!
Thanks,
Manta
Mellomumma
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice from people with nannies about nursery/pre-school

Postby Mellomumma » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:35 pm

I am assuming that your mum thinks that the nursery environment will offer him more than what you nanny will. Honestly it will depend on your nanny but we didn't because our nanny did things that a nursery would do. She would take our kids to a couple of activities a week and often would do play dates, picnics and meet ups with other nannies etc. I have always had a well stocked arts and crafts box (you will be amazed at what you can find online cheap or the pound shop) as well as a few shower curtains/plastic paint sheets to protect the floor so they can do some messy play. Also if you are worried, I would have a look online at the early years curriculum and have a chat to your nanny about what she can do to help with that side of their development; things like learning colours, shapes, good social interactions, basic self care (e.g. learning to put coat on, potty training) are all things that can be managed in the home environment. In my experience, nursery schools encourage parents/carers to facilitate the learning through their everyday life and it not just during nursery hours.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:50 pm

It sounds as though you have an autumn baby. If that is the case then they wont be starting a state school nursery until they are nearly 4 which is too late in my humble opinion.

State schools admit into their nurseries on the September following your child turning 3.

For this reason, many people choose to send their kids to a private morning nursery school for up to a year beforehand and I really do think it is worth it. I always had full time nannies when mine were young but the one thing a nanny can't teach is independence. It is good for the children to learn to be outside the home, in a new setting, without the comfort blanket of their parents/nanny. It massively helps them transition into school even if its just for a term or 2. You can keep your nanny on and give her extra tasks in the 3 hours she's alone.
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:32 pm

If he is an autumn baby and will be just turned 3 when he starts in January, then he will end up doing 5 terms of nursery before he starts school. I think that's plenty.

However, if he's a summer baby so will be 3.5+ when he starts in January, I think that could be a bit late. He'd only get 2 terms of nursery before starting school. Might be enough but it depends what kind of child he is - for example how independent he is and how does he take to a more structured environment.

(Do be careful about assuming he can start in January though, quite a few nurseries fill up in September and don't have space come January except by someone leaving ...worth a call to your preferred nursery to ask)
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 pm

By the way, if you do decide you want him to start something a bit earlier, then look at Little Learners - not as full on (or as expensive!) as a private nursery school but very good as a first step towards independence.

JThomas
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JThomas » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

My twins were with a nanny 3 days a week and with me the other 2. They went to a state school nursery age 3.5 for one year before starting reception and settled with no problems and are thriving at school (now in Year 2). I don't think it makes a big difference. I personally think some of the drive for nursery at 2.5 comes from SAHMs who want a break (!) (said without judgement as this is what I have done with my third).
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Most people I know (including myself) send their children to nursery at about 2.5. It doesn't have to be 5 days a week, you can do it just for 2 or 3 half days per week (depending on where you find availability).
I think it's really good for them to be outside of the comfort of their own home/nanny, to learn to interact with other children and be independent. In my experience, they spend the first trimesters learning basic thinks like sharing, taking turns, etc. And then at 3.5 they start learning letters, numbers, drawing, etc.

Having said that, I am sure that starting nursery at 3.5 can work well as well, if your child is already quite independent and you have a nanny who can do the educational stuff well.

Not sure about the demand for nursery at 2.5 comes from SAHMs :)...I work full time but was quite keen on starting at 2.5 because at nursery they have a better chance of learning IMO (they are better behaved generally than they would be at home).
BalhamLiz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamLiz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:19 pm

I had the exact same conundrum as you, it's not an easy one.

We started my little boy at Little Startlings in Balham and it's fabulous! It's designed as the step between nothing and pre school and he's taken to it straight away.

It's been the perfect gap filler for us, 2 hours a day up to 4 days a week and not expensive. PM me if you want more personal feedback

Liz
X
manta
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby manta » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks everyone - lots of helpful comments and I really appreciate it.

He's a late Autumn birthday and the state nurseries near us (Henry Cavendish, Telfescot) take them in January so I think he'd be just over 3 when he'd start there. And he'd been there for 5 terms before starting school at nearly 5.

Great to hear such good things about Little Starlings as that's probably my leading contender at the moment. Liz, I'll message you.

AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Highly recommend Little Starlings too! My youngest went and it's such a lovely setting.
BalhamLiz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamLiz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:09 pm

I got your PM but can't respond!

He started 2 mornings a week but we quickly moved it to 3 when he loved it. It's only 2 hours so by the time drop off and pick up have been done it doesn't leave long. Usually time is spent washing/putting away clothes or prepping food.

A friend had the same conundrum with her nanny and agreed with her that if she did general hiushokd duties one of the days (tidying/cooking for family/shopping) then she could have the other morning off for a coffee. Seemed to work well depending on how flexible your nanny is.

Im so happy we chose Little Startlings, it's a really great environment and the staff are so warm and caring.
Purple_sage
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Purple_sage » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 pm

My son is a late autumn baby too. He started nursery school in Jan last year after he turned 3 and he settled into school very quickly as he's quite a friendly boy although initially you could probably tell the difference that he had a nanny as opposed to having some time previously already in a nursery setting. We had his teacher telling us to organise more play dates with his new classmates (even though our nanny had kept him busy everyday with play dates and I had organise an activity for him almost everyday like playball etc) and his preference for adult lead activity but one year forward, and in his second year in nursery, he's very well settled into school.
BalhamLiz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamLiz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Also worth a mention that Telferscott were full in September this year so no january intake. Henry Cavendish had a January intake

LP73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LP73 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Little Starlings is wonderful start to nursery life, they take a very gentle approach and the two hour sessions work well - we were VERY happy there. We moved to a nursery that does full morning sessions and follows more of a curriculum and whilst we've had a nanny I do think that nursery gives them so much more. If you're able to I would use a nursery for mornings, even if just a couple of mornings per week.
LLearners
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LLearners » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Little Learners offer structured play sessions for young toddlers from 15 months. The play sessions are 2.5 hours 9.30-12.00 during the term time.

wwwclaphamlearners.com

Michelle

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.