PICA

7 posts
gemima
Options:
Share this post on:

PICA

Postby gemima » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi there,

We suspect that our daughter has PICA and wondered if there were any parents with similar experiences or knowledge on who to turn to for help? Our doctor has not even heard of it.

Many thanks all.
Bbkl
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: PICA

Postby Bbkl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm

By your doctor, do you mean your GP? Do you have any other concerns about your daughter's development? You could ask to be referred to community paediatrics for a developmental review as that would usually be the first step to accessing help via the NHS.
gemima
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gemima » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello,
Yes I have an appointment with the GP. No other concerns. First docs appointment doctor had no idea what it was. Thank you for your kind help. I will ask new doc to be referred to community paediatrics for a developmental review.
Hope they listen. I wondered if any other parent had experienced this.
Many thanks
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pod » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi there
Make sure that your daughters bloods are taken as it can be a nutritional deficiency that triggers it. I had it during pregnancy and wanted to eat eucalyptus oil, tarmac, dettol and chewed endlessly on rubber. It drove me insane, once diagnosed with severe anaemia it improved with supplements. I realise you might be querying in a mental health capacity and if so you GP can refer her to CAHMS - if under 5 she should be seen within a few weeks, if older might be could of months. I hope you get some professional help
gemima
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gemima » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello,
That is enormously helpful . I read about it in pregnancy, I glad you got it sorted!
Best wishes

gemima
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gemima » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm

PS: I do hope it's nutritional and not leading to autism.....
Bbkl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bbkl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Pica doesn't lead to autism, but it can sometimes be present in children with autism. Here's a link to some information from the NAS. http://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviou ... /pica.aspx

If you don't have any other concerns though as PP have said, it may be a nutritional deficiency. And although blood tests are never fun you should get a definitive answer which could be corrected through diet or supplements.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.