Rats on Clapham Common!

13 posts
mamaof1
Options:
Share this post on:

Rats on Clapham Common!

Postby mamaof1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 am

Our nanny, whilst out with our toddler this afternoon on the Common, saw two fat rats running across the path into the leaves and back again. She took a video which I've tried (and failed) to attach. This was on the south side of the Common. Just a word of warning to anyone playing in the leaves to keep an eye out!
Gullsands
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Rats on Clapham Common!

Postby Gullsands » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:27 pm

I see rats on Wandsworth Common very frequently, unfortunately. They are very bold and cheeky - frequently run across the footpaths in front of walkers and dogs and you can just imagine them saying "Am I bovvered"??!! Sadly, for those of us who enjoy feeding bread to the ducks with our toddlers, this is a major contributor to the rats' ability to survive, and thrive, on all the commons, as well as being not very good for the ducks, apparently - even sadder!
jomi273
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jomi273 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am

Ok so at the risk of freaking you out, there is a GLA report called Rat Land.... Wandsworth is 10th on the list with 7898 complaints over three years. An average across London of 102 complaints per day..... we feed them so well they are now also super sized!
Two rats can create a population of 1250 rats in 1 year.....
Zin-mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Zin-mum » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Like OrchardEnd says, people 'feeding the ducks' with bread, are actually feeding more rats, and making the ducks sick too! Even though the ducks seem to want more bread, it's like us eating chocolate. We want more, but get sick afterwards! :lol:

I've seen rats on the common many times, always near the duck ponds. If we heed the notices and don't feed bread to the ducks, we would be curbing the rat population on our common. (The ducks love duck food though, and it's good for them too! Most pet shops have them)
Marmot-in-london
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Marmot-in-london » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

I agree the ducks don't need any white bread like us as well
Pls take your children to see the ducks not to feed them they are not thin nor are the geese but they are more sensible.

Litter is a big issue as well I always pick up something when I am on the common and wash my hands v well on return if everyone did that it would be a lot cleaner

atbattersea
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby atbattersea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Rats are everywhere, you just don't see them. If there are squirrels in residence, there are probably rats and mice around too.

I've often seen rats in Battersea Park, particularly around the lake. I've even seen them in trees eating berries (and I'm not mistaking them for squirrels).
janee
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby janee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 am

atbattersea is absolutely right. Rats are everywhere: on river banks, sewers, gardens, railway lines...... What is surprising is that so few people actually see them! When the old factory building behind my house was pulled down most of my neighbours suddenly were over run with rats and mice. Fortunately, my cats kept me rodent free (I think!)
Marmot-in-london
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Marmot-in-london » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I saw a mouse in my compost has anyone had issues with them as I don't want to get rid of my compost.
Here's to as little litter as possible around Christmas I wonder if friends of Clapham Common should put some signs up we saw some in a park in Gloucester.
Marmot-in-london
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Marmot-in-london » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I sent this a bit early I meant signs saying "please don't feed bread to the ducks because it encourages rats"
Happy Christmas

Marmot-in-london
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Marmot-in-london » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 pm

we need to lobby the council for signs as the general public have a low knowledge of nutritious food for birds.

Any thoughts re mice and composts now everyone is relaxing post Christmas?
Happy New Year everyone :) :geek:
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:48 pm

"mama of 1 avec nanny". Yep, we have rats in London, of course we do!

I agree with previous posters.
mamaof1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mamaof1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Err the parsley song, perhaps your message doesn't translate well and I've misunderstood, but I don't know what I've done to deserve such a condescending tone (full-time working mum of two, with, yes, a nanny - apologies for not updating my username).

As per my original post, I hadn't seen rats running freely on the paths in common and was just warning others whose children might also play in the leaves. Well aware there are rats in London :roll: Completely agree people should respect the signs by the pond and not feed the ducks.

Happy new year to all xxx
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby parsleysong » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Mama of 1 is the name you gave yourself and you mentioned your nanny, I simply added "avec" :? . Anyway, don't worry too much, surely every large city has them and they are more scared of us than we are of them. Not a good idea to be leaving bread for the ducks, but rats are probably more attracted by the empty food boxes, discarded fried chicken and plentiful other rubbish that people leave behind on the Common. In all my many years of having picnics on Wandsworth and Clapham Commons I've seen rats but never seen (or heard of them) coming up to people, children or picnics. It's a bit of a shock when you see them, but not really much to worry about, otherwise you'd never leave the house.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.