Ambitious goal of delivering electric vehicle charging points in all residential streets moves a step closer

4 posts
wandbc1
Options:
Share this post on:

Ambitious goal of delivering electric vehicle charging points in all residential streets moves a step closer

Postby wandbc1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 pm

The prospect of electric vehicle charging points being installed in every residential street in Wandsworth has moved a step closer after councillors backed ambitious plans for a major expansion in the borough’s e-motoring infrastructure.

Following endorsement by the community services committee, council officers have now been tasked with exploring all available options for a major expansion of charging points across Wandsworth.

And this will include evaluating the cost and logistics involved in placing e-vehicle charging plugs in every lampost in the borough’s residential streets.

Cabinet member for community services Cllr Jonathan Cook said: “The future of motoring is electric. The Government has announced that in 2040 petrol and diesel vehicles will no longer be sold in the UK. This means that councils need to start planning ahead now to make sure we deliver the infrastructure to keep people moving. Nowhere is this more relevant than here in inner London where air quality is a real concern.

“Providing convenient charging is the key. We need to make it easy for people to go-electric.

“What we will now be doing is exploring all the available options to make this happen. Council officers will be drawing up a series of options to dramatically increase and improve coverage across the entire borough.

“There will be a range of options for us to consider once these investigations have been concluded but I am personally of the view that if the finances and logistics stack up then we should certainly be looking at as many lampposts as we can.”

Wandsworth currently has 35 charging points in 11 locations across the borough – and there are existing plans to install another 50 in 20 further locations by the turn of the year.

This is already helping to make owning and running an electric car a much more attractive and viable option for many Wandsworth residents.

But with growing concerns over air quality coupled with the recent Government announcement that petrol and diesel vehicles will no longer be offered for sale from 2040 onwards and banned from the roads entirely by 2050, Cllr Cook says now is the time to act.

He added: “We’ve already done a lot to tackle pollution in Wandsworth but we need to do more, and this ambitious initiative has the potential to achieve a real improvement in air quality.

“It would certainly help the Mayor achieve his pollution targets and following the introduction of his new T-Charge and his plans to extend the ULEZ zone to include the North and South Circular Roads in 2019 he will have extra revenue available to support tangible air quality initiatives like ours.

“Helping to fund a dramatic and radical advance in e-motoring infrastructure is precisely the sort of project the Mayor needs to support.”

Councillors at last night’s meeting voted to instruct the town hall’s Director of Environment and Community Services to “develop this emerging and ambitious strategy yet further, by examining the technical and financial potential to deliver a network of such significant scale and coverage that it might cover all residential streets of the borough and would very likely positively influence behaviour change in terms of resident and business decisions on vehicle ownership.”

Lampost charging would have no impact on existing parking provision in the borough.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Ambitious goal of delivering electric vehicle charging points in all residential streets moves a step closer

Postby rooting4tooting » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 am

what an utter waste of time.
the solution for electric vehicles is not losing more valuable car parking spaces but to have standard replaceable batteries at our petrol stations to swap out just like we fill up.
Tesla design the batteries
Dyson design the enclosures
Ford and GM and VW to standardise the battery car ports
BP etc to have the charging infrastructure.

Go in, swap your batteries in a minute, pay for the capacity and drive off. You don't need to own a battery and therefore disposal is taken care of by professionals. Street parking remains flexible
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Ambitious goal of delivering electric vehicle charging points in all residential streets moves a step closer

Postby supergirl » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm

rooting4tooting wrote:what an utter waste of time.
the solution for electric vehicles is not losing more valuable car parking spaces but to have standard replaceable batteries at our petrol stations to swap out just like we fill up.
Tesla design the batteries
Dyson design the enclosures
Ford and GM and VW to standardise the battery car ports
BP etc to have the charging infrastructure.

Go in, swap your batteries in a minute, pay for the capacity and drive off. You don't need to own a battery and therefore disposal is taken care of by professionals. Street parking remains flexible
I very very strongly beg to differ - wrong approach.
Creating more waste - even disposed by professional - is suicidal in the way the planet on which we live is going.

We have made the move to hybrid and now electric plug in hybrid ever since the first Prius so back in early 2005. I know what I am talking about. I ll drive a Tesla tomorrow if i could drive 530 km on one charge. Not yet.

Yes petrol and especially diesel cars are going to be banned. Charging points are the only way forward for those with no drives.

Well done Wandsworth.

However... Wandworth - thr charging Pod Points at Sainsbury Southside: only 2 of them are working (flashing blue light). What is going on? Also, i read in Brightside that it was suppose to free? Is it the parking that is free and / or the electricity.
I am not upset at paying but would like that to be clarified as the warden at the sainsbury told i needed to pay for parking whilst charging.

Also what is the time frame and how can you apply to a point installed on your street? I dont have a drive and would welcome the convenience.

Thank you.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Hybrids and fully electric cars already have complex batteries which cannot be simply disposed of at end of life and cost about 4k to replace. Hybrids still need fuel. A finite resource last time I read.
Charging points are a terrible compromise that only serves those who install and market them..as usual. WBC doing the government's dirty work :)) Lip service

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.