Men's Health concern

8 posts
Beachbum
Options:
Share this post on:

Men's Health concern

Postby Beachbum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:27 pm

I am concerned about my husband, who is 42. He has to urinate often, to give some reference we went out for 3 hours and he had to go before we left, twice while out and then once we came home. I also noticed that his stream is very weak. I don't hear anything when he is going.

I found the frequency of urination annoying but had never thought too much about it until my mom mentioned it and said he should go to the doctor. I made him go and she gave him a blood test but nothing further. I have googled it and felt that he should have been offered a prostate examination. I was just wondering if I am playing Dr. Google or if I should really insist on the exam?

Also sorry if this is TMI... just at a loss as he keeps siting that the doctor says he is fine.
misstemple
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Men's Health concern

Postby misstemple » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:45 pm

I suppose my question would be - how much water does he drink?

I need to go every 1-2 hours because I feel the need to drink a lot of water. I think it's healthy. I do try to "hold" for a few minutes so I don't become dependent on having a loo. In the heat, I drink more but need to go less.

Is he polite, might he have gone to the loo to relieve gas? Maybe he felt anxious for some reason, this often triggers the feeling of needing to urinate even if the bladder is not full.

Sorry, not much help, maybe a second opinion is needed? I agree his prostate should be checked.
Beachbum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Beachbum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Thank you for the reply - trust me it is not modesty! He does drink a lot of water but I would thought that his stream would be more forceful if that were the only issue. I agree I think it is just better to get it checked out.
uptheoctave
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby uptheoctave » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:13 am

Hi, I'm a physio and while I agree with the other poster that you might want to get a 2nd opinion and not rule out prostate probs, it *could* be feasible that he has just developed a weak bladder and needs to strengthen his pelvic floor muscles - yes men can do this too! Here's a link about the exercises specifically for men.

http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resou ... or-men.pdf
gessika7
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gessika7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 am

Did the Dr test him for Type 1 diabetes? Usually done by testing urine. Excessive thirst and, as a result of drinking so much, excessive urination often a sign.

Beachbum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Beachbum » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:14 pm

No, she only did a blood test. His diet isn't great so that is worth asking. Thank you!
balhambod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby balhambod » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 pm

It may be that the GP wanted to do a prostate blood test. Doing a rectal examination prior to this blood test can interfere with the results. It's less common to develop type 1 diabetes Thant type 2 diabetes in adulthood, but symptoms of thirst and increased urination are a feature of both (due to excess sugar in the blood).
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 pm

A blood test depending on what the Doctor has requested should cover all the bases.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.