Finton/ Thomas's/ Hornsby

11 posts
Baffled
Options:
Share this post on:

Finton/ Thomas's/ Hornsby

Postby Baffled » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi- am considering schools for my son- can anyone tell me what the main differences would be between Finton House, Thomas's and Hornsby? Thank you!
Last edited by Baffled on Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Finton/ Thomas's/ Hornsby

Postby Goldhawk » Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Thomas's assesses the kids for entry - main exit is 13+

Finton - does it lose boys at 7+ to other schools? I've heard this but it might not be true. Exit at 11+

Hornsby - Exit at 11+
Baffled
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Baffled » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, very interested in whether this is true at Finton as had heard things are changing?
OliveL
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby OliveL » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 am

Varies from year to year at Finton, quite a few use it as pre-prep knowing where their kids are going onto, and if a number go, then most move on. Lovely up to that point though and hope they can change it... but worth being aware. Hear great things about Hornsby!
Haggis Burns
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Haggis Burns » Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 am

I have also been looking at these three schools. It might be helpful to consider the leavers results as part of your research. Finton only achieved one scholarship this year, Hornsby gained a bucketful particularly academic ones and Thomas's also have a good number in a breadth of areas. I don't think the decision can be based on results alone because atmosphere and ethos count for a lot. That said, it is worth asking 'what do I want for my son at the point of leaving?' Boarding or day? 11 versus 13?' Size and facilities are also important. I do think Thomas's wins hands down on facilities and space but it is an enormous school with 4 form entry and some children would find it overwhelming and be happier in a cosier smaller school environment. All three are good schools and I suppose it comes down to a gut feeling about a best fit.

TCEarlsfield
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TCEarlsfield » Mon May 22, 2017 10:06 am

According to the most recent results on Finton's website (2016) 15 of 27 pupils were awarded a scholarship, and looking at the results some must have been offered more than one.
Haggis Burns
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Haggis Burns » Mon May 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I was looking at the more up to date
Finton 11+ results 2017.
Quote: '25 Year 6 pupils received a total of 58 offers and 1 scholarship.'
Baffled
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Baffled » Mon May 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes had seen the 2017 figures - did look like a weird blip...
3hotcrossbunnies
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 3hotcrossbunnies » Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 pm

You don't say how old your son is but I assume you are thinking about a reception place.
Leaving aside the pros and cons of each school for the moment as they are all good schools, it is worth considering what you would like for your son for senior schools or you may find yourself having to move him. Which is not necessarily a bad thing anyway.
Yes Finton has historically had the issue of some boys leaving at 8+. However, even if it didn't, it is an 11+ school so only really feeds day schools and some girls' boarding schools. Likewise Hornsby. Boys and co-ed boarding options are 13+ entry point on the whole. Most of these schools will have pre-tests and assessments in year 6.
Thomas's has approx a third of children leave at 11+ to London Day and some to girls boarding. At 13+ there are a small number who leave for day schools but the majority of year 8 do the CE exams in June - which incidentally boys day schools such as St Pauls, KCS, Westminster do. As parents you do not need to decide the exit route of 11+ v 13+ at Thomas's until the end of year 5, which buys you some time if you are undecided. Its all rather mind boggling, esp if your son is still little.

Baffled
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Baffled » Mon May 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Day schools 100% are what we are thinking!
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Tue May 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Your best bet is to take a look at all the schools. You will hear lots of hearsay about all the schools both on here and in the community, but you need to take a look for yourself. Go armed with questions. See if you like the atmosphere - is it busy, or calm and contented? Do you like the head? Take a look at the wall displays (I was put off a couple of schools by seeing spelling mistakes on wall displays!). If you're not sure the first time round, go back for a second visit. But more to the point you need to register your child at all the schools you're vaguely interested in. I rang Finton when my daughter was nine months old and they said I was far too late!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.