Proposal for five story flats at Jaggard Way (Wandsworth Common)

56 posts
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Proposal for five story flats at Jaggard Way (Wandsworth Common)

Postby actuallyadad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:32 am

But the point is that the houses don't have car spaces! It's normal not to have car spaces in London!

People would complain if it were the other way and each flat had two spaces - people would be saying it will mean more car ownership locally and more cars driving about. I think a lack of allocated car spaces is just not a big deal.
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 am

"London needs more homes" I would agree but only if the word "affordable" was inserted before the word "homes"

Does London, or Wandsworth in general, need more high-end luxury properties?

We already have the vast Battersea Reach project, and the complex being built over the Townmead Road Sainsbury's site.

Now we have an application for a large complex over the Homebase site, the massive former Young's Brewery site, the Garratt Lane ex-housing office site opposite Southside and another tower block of flats near the Southside multi-story - I could go on....and that's not mentioning Nine Elms.

Not only are these developments "non-affordable" by any measure but they seem to get snapped up as investments ( a great number by overseas customers)...does London or Wandsworth need another one in Jaggard Way?
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm

actuallyadad wrote:But the point is that the houses don't have car spaces! It's normal not to have car spaces in London!

People would complain if it were the other way and each flat had two spaces - people would be saying it will mean more car ownership locally and more cars driving about. I think a lack of allocated car spaces is just not a big deal.
When you buy a house or a maisonette you can get a parking permit from the council if you need/want to have a car,this is not the case when you are buying an apartment.Unless you have a parking space in the development you are not able to apply for a permit.There are apartments that do not have parking spaces like Pocket which is building by the Southside Shopping Centre( but they are not apartments for families).I live in an apartment which comes with underground parking(I wouldn't have bought it without) and all the families in the development have cars.Look at the end of the day these are "first world" problems and you will always people that have something to complain about! :lol:
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Denwand wrote:"London needs more homes" I would agree but only if the word "affordable" was inserted before the word "homes"

Does London, or Wandsworth in general, need more high-end luxury properties?

We already have the vast Battersea Reach project, and the complex being built over the Townmead Road Sainsbury's site.

Now we have an application for a large complex over the Homebase site, the massive former Young's Brewery site, the Garratt Lane ex-housing office site opposite Southside and another tower block of flats near the Southside multi-story - I could go on....and that's not mentioning Nine Elms.

Not only are these developments "non-affordable" by any measure but they seem to get snapped up as investments ( a great number by overseas customers)...does London or Wandsworth need another one in Jaggard Way?
I think the Ship of "bulding affordable homes" in Wandsworth has sailed...
The reality is that the council should give permission to build only if the developer agree to market the homes to Londoners only for a set period of time before they are free to market them worldwide.Also,from a personal point of view I rather have a new development than an empty office building.
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

[quote="windmill26"
...........from a personal point of view I rather have a new development than an empty office building.[/quote]

So why does Wandsworth need more unaffordable homes then?

I don't think anyone's suggesting building office blocks on Jaggard Way.

Also, apart from the disruption and ugliness of a multi storied building, scores of jobs will disappear as well.

Really, who needs this development apart from the developers themselves? :D

windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Denwand wrote:[quote="windmill26"
...........from a personal point of view I rather have a new development than an empty office building.
So why does Wandsworth need more unaffordable homes then?

I don't think anyone's suggesting building office blocks on Jaggard Way.

Also, apart from the disruption and ugliness of a multi storied building, scores of jobs will disappear as well.

Really, who needs this development apart from the developers themselves? :D[/quote]
They are not unaffordable for a lot of people otherwise no one would buy them.The empty office block I mentioned is the old council offices opposite Southside,between that empty monstrosity and a new developments ...I know which one I rather have!
Any time there is construction of any sort there is going to be some level of disruption (excavating basements come to mind as well) .The ugliness or beauty of any kind of housing is subjective ,you don't like apartment buildings and I don't like victorian houses.
The jobs are going for a multitude of reasons (internet shopping primarily).The area is becoming more and more desirable ,not only for young families but also for young professionals .A house in Earlsfield ten years ago would have cost around £400.000 now the same house is close to 1 million (sometimes more)....I don't see anyone crying about that!
Last edited by windmill26 on Wed May 03, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 am

The lack of parking isn't 'an oversight' by the developers.

It is part of a London-wide policy to reduce parking to reduce cars - hence the provision of lots of cycle spaces at the expense of more car parking spaces.
A developer who put forward a plan which included 2 spaces per car won't get it approved! Developers might put some ZipCar spaces in, so residents have some easy access to a car without having to own one.

If the only issue is around the pressure on parking for existing residents, the only logical objection would be to residents having permits - something which is increasingly stipulated in new builds and which buyers know up front when they buy.

I think the hysterical NIMBY tone of that leaflet will just make people want to support the scheme all the more... It certainly has that effect on me
CatCatDog
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CatCatDog » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 pm

The blocks theyre proposing are hideous, too high and don't fit in at all with the local area. Why don't they propose something nicer to look at, lower and more sympathetic to the beautiful common and the houses nearby??
CatCatDog
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CatCatDog » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 pm

this_is_cat wrote: I think the hysterical NIMBY tone of that leaflet will just make people want to support the scheme all the more... It certainly has that effect on me
It hasn't made me support it "all the more" AT ALL! I'm glad some local polititians care about what these greedy developers are trying to do!
Last edited by CatCatDog on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 am

windmill26 wrote:
actuallyadad wrote:That flyer is hilarious by the way

"Jaggard Way UNDER THREAT"

really it should say:

"Industrial wasteland of a few garages and some warehouses next to a railway line UNDER THREAT of being developed into smart modern flats"

Sounds very dramatic.

Agree re parking, but I guess they think not everybody will have a car as it's by the station
Few years ago was manly singles or young couples that use to buy apartments and not having a car was not an issue.It is not the case anymore.The council need to understand this and stop approving any development that doesn't offer sufficient parking space.
The other thing to think about is - can our roads take more cars? It's already so busy and congested these days.

I see your point that many people have cars now and this development hasn't budgeted for enough parking spaces. But at the same time, providing those spaces will mean more cars on the road around Wandsworth.

I see the merit of having new developments with less parking space, and thus not putting more strain on the roads. Granted the flats will put off lots of car owners. But it will attract those who get along fine with public transport, bikes, and car sharing.
mealsonwheels
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mealsonwheels » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Please see our flyer relating to hundreds of residents who are unhappy with the latest building proposals by Wandsworth Council, notably the library development.

There is a meeting this Wednesday 26 April at the Peabody Estate to vote for your Conservative Councillors, please read our attached flyer carefully to take into consideration when voting.

Thank you.
Attachments
SaveNorthcoteLibrary&ChatHallFlyerApril2017.pdf
(100.1 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:16 pm

more nimby hysteria!
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 pm

I think it's great that our council is putting money into libraries at a time when others are reducing funding.

It's going to be a great community facility.

and how odd that people are objecting to redeveloping a knackered 60's building (itself not in keeping with the local architecture) and some old garages.

Some people object to anything; not enough to do all day I suspect

CatCatDog
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CatCatDog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

mealsonwheels wrote:Please see our flyer relating to hundreds of residents who are unhappy with the latest building proposals by Wandsworth Council, notably the library development.
This is totally irrelevant to Jaggard Way
Last edited by CatCatDog on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatCatDog
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CatCatDog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 pm

actuallyadad wrote:more nimby hysteria!
You can insult all you like but some of us care about what is happening where we live and don't want it ruined just so some developers can make loads of money with 6-storey buildings that look horrible
Last edited by CatCatDog on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.