CHATHAM HALL FLYER, INFO & PETITION

10 posts
mealsonwheels
Options:
Share this post on:

CHATHAM HALL FLYER, INFO & PETITION

Postby mealsonwheels » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Please read this flyer about the Chatham Hall Development. It is important and may affect you.

You may have received a flyer from Wandsworth Council today regarding this. Please read our flyer in conjunction with the information that you have received from them, before making your comments on their flyer.

We would appreciate that if you object strongly, to sign on the attached petition link (see below).

Thank you so much for your support.

https://www.change.org/p/wandsworth-cou ... m=copylink
Attachments
Chatham flyer.pdf
(121.34 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Suslik
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: CHATHAM HALL FLYER, INFO & PETITION

Postby Suslik » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 pm

All,
please sign the petition and email the contents of the petition to our MP/councillors (you can use the following email addresses).
jane.ellison.mp@parliament.uk
jonathancook@wandsworth.gov.uk
pdawson@wandsworth.gov.uk
jdodd@wandsworth.gov.uk
martinjohnson@wandsworth.gov.uk

There is a further meeting in northcote library on this on Sat 25th feb 10am-2pm, and a meeting in Honeywell School with some councillors on Tue 28th Feb 6.15-8pm.

Parents - please spread the word among your parent email groups for your kids classes. We dont want years of construction as well as even smaller catchment for honeywell.
Buddybear
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Buddybear » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 am

The leaflet from Wandsworth council is completely misleading. It all sounds wonderful - super modern new library - what not to like?

In actual fact the existing library would be demolished and a new building built which would consist of many small flats (with no parking permits - how will that work?) and retail space.
So we , the community, would lose that community site forever.

The new library would actually be a lot smaller (WC state that the library would be larger but are including 'business suites' whatever they might be) and would be built on the site of Chatham Hall. If you have ever been into Chatham Hall it is an amazing space for community events - it has lots of natural light and the amazing space outside which is used by Alphabet nursery. It could easily be updated at very little cost.It can also be used by anyone in the community for a very reasonable fee. On the site of Chatham Hall the new library would be built, and a smaller community space plus lots more flats. So a huge amount of development on a much smaller plot than Northcote Library.

Please complete the survey at northcotelibrary.co.uk with your views.

Or attend the consultation at Northcote Library on Saturday 10am - 2pm and add your comments.

There is also a meeting at Honeywell School on Tuesday 28 feb at 6.15 - 8pm to discuss the proposals.

I attended the first consultation at the library and spoke to one of the librarians and asked her for her thoughts. She said that they (ie Wandsworth Council) want her to say that it is a great idea but actually she was really sad and thought that we as a community would lose out. I am just a local resident who feels sad at the potential loss of this valuable space. Not everyone who lives in this area has huge amounts of money.
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 am

Hi,

I've read both leaflets and spoken to our local councils. Both are misleading to an extent.
My understanding is that there is no money to upgrade the current library and is very low down on the priority list of things the council needs to do.
Chatham Hall is another question completely. It is under used by the local community - it is mainly used by a Private Nursery who pay rent to provide a service only available to the wealthier parents - no children from deprived backgrounds attend. If Alphabet was to close or relocate the children would attend an alternative nursery.
I'm unclear as to whom pays for the maintenance and upkeep of Chatham Hall and whether it is really for the good of all of the local community.

So I and many I talk to are undecided. Do we keep the library in current state - an awful building of no architectural merit or do we support an upgrade for free - including new flats. If the flats were low cost for Public Sector workers - teachers, nurses etc who cannot afford to live round here I would support that. If just to be sold at a huge profit - not so sure.

So still undecided - it's not a simple case. I do however applaud the council for grasping the nettle and looking at options.
Buddybear
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Buddybear » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Whilst I agree it is good the council are looking at options, it feels like they have only looked at 1 option. For example, I do agree that the garages and entrance way to Chatham hall is an under-utilised plot of land. This could be redeveloped into a potentially 4 story building along the approx width of the adjacent victorian shops with a number of flats and retail space. This could raise funds to invest in refurbishing the existing library and would not require the closure of Chatham Hall. There are many other smaller plots in the locale that could also offer opportunity to raise funds to invest in this way.

Or the existing library could be demolished and replaced with a new library on the ground floor with residential flats on the floors above to fund the new library.

On Chatham Hall, not only does it provide a nursery but it is one of the few locations in Wandsworth that can be booked for events like at a low cost to people in the local community from all backgrounds. Have you been to see the hall? It is an awesome space which could easily be better utilised. The outside space is amazing and could easily be updated for use for all of the community.

BTW there are very few nurseries in the locality with such amazing outside space. The only other nursery I am aware of is Honeywell nursery which has a tiny catchment area.

hellokittyerw
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hellokittyerw » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:14 pm

I so agree with you buddybear! The council have looked at 1 option only, there must be some other feasible options, like the one you mention.

livegreen - the private nursery doesn't provide a service to wealthier parents only... because there are very few places for state nursery around us, quite a lot of parents (who will otherwise send their children to state schools) end up using the private nurseries
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:39 pm

"years of construction as well as even smaller catchment for Honeywell"

These are not valid reasons to object to this development

I can't support this NIMBY petition although I am opposed to the proposed development in it's current form
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:07 pm

My point is that the nursery is a distraction, it is a private business aimed at affluent parents and not really a benefit for the community, particularly the less well off. This is really a about the library and whether it can be improved.
The option the Council have come up with means the library remain open throughout the development which is positive. It also gets rid of a awful building and does cost the tax payer nothing - so far so good. IF the proposal also included large proportion of social housing for key workers I'd be tempted to support it.
The objections im not convinced by and do appear to be rather Nimby in tone.
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:22 pm

The flyer is so incredibly NIMBY and knee-jerk
You aren't going to get very far asking people to object along the lines you've listed - the are (famously) nearly all invalid grounds for objection so won't be taken into consideration.

Are we really now against 3 storey buildings on Northcote Road as well? About 120 years too late for that, I'm afraid!

jenwaken
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jenwaken » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:32 pm

There are a lot of non-NIMBY reasons to oppose this project. I disagree that the current library is an eyesore. The exterior is definitely an architectural style not to everyone's taste, but it at least has character. The proposals are so generic and could easily house shops versus a public space.

If you enter the library, you are in a beautiful open, naturally lit space with a striking staircase. It is dated. It could use some nicer decorating. But any new build will lack any sense of moment and grandeur. Chatham Hall, too, is an open, naturally lit space which is available for the community to rent, as well as houses lots of classes for the children of the community. The community is full of children that need nursery spaces, and closing a popular nursery is not to its benefit, either.

The new flats will ONLY be market-rate flats--no 'affordable' housing options are in the plans. Somehow the developers and council are getting around this by offering the public space (which we already have).

Clearly, the Council sees this as a way to monetise the real estate assets of Northcote road. I'm sure no-one is getting rich off this (well, maybe the developers) but this is an effort by the council to try to find some more money while things are really tight. Plus, it looks good on paper (new flats AND a new library, win-win!). However this is short-term thinking. We can't get these spaces back once we lose them. We should be expanding our public spaces, not reducing them. I have serious reservations about this plan and I would like the council to rethink their options. If there isn't any will or funds to do anything about improving things now, then let's wait. The community of Northcote Road isn't asking for these changes, it's all coming from the council.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.