Tooting Broadway- Vant road, yes or no

8 posts
hanay008
Options:
Share this post on:

Tooting Broadway- Vant road, yes or no

Postby hanay008 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Hello,

We are very close to making an offer on a place in Vant Road, Tooting Broadway and leaving our home of 5 years in Balham. I love the place we are considering but I'm worried that Vant road isnt safe due to the street checker app which shows a huge amount of crime for one street. Is this correct and has anyone got good or bad to share on Vant Road/ Tooting Broadway?

Thanks you
A :)
Last edited by hanay008 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foodeditorjo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Tooting Broadway- Vant road

Postby foodeditorjo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Huge amount of crime - really? I live near Tooting Bec, which admittedly isn't Tooting Broadway but feel incredibly safe walking round at night. I've never heard of bad things happening so guess they must be quite low-grade?
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Tooting Broadway- Vant road, yes or no

Postby Pod » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am

We used to live in the toast rack opposite and it's a fantastic area, our French friends used to live in Vant before heading back to Avignon.
You have Mud cafe on your doorstep too -
Tooting has changed incredibly over the last 20years (that's how long I've been here to experience the change) and it's a great neighbourhood full of families and great local restaurants, you won't regret it.
As for Vant road - I've always parked in Vant for local errands day and night and never had any sense of crime or danger???
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am

The crime rate is higher at Mitcham Road - probably due to the higher footfall
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Question to original poster: have you looked up the detailed crime records for Vant Road and neighbouring roads? In my experience, most of the recorded crimes are for anti-social behaviour. To an extent, reports of crime reflect propensity to report as much as actual crime levels. Also, the street checker app doesn't really reflect density of population - Tooting with its narrow terraced houses has a very dense population. If you were to measure density of cime by population rather than by geographic area you might see a rather different picture.

My experience of Tooting is that there is a residual level of anti-social behaviour - littering, fly-tipping, on-street drinking, rowdiness, etc. which is higher than most zone 3 London suburbs. However, I also find it relatively friendly.

Medway
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Medway » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I live in Tooting Bec but would not buy a house in Vant Road for the reasons stated above about anti social behaviour. The littering, bad driving, spitting is bad enough in the Bec it gets worse further South. Just my opinion I am sure many would disagree with me
Angelsmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Angelsmum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:59 am

Hi
As one of the posts suggested crime statistics could be made up of anything.
Try using asktenants.co.uk to research the area. It will give you in depth information broken down by month and also by type of crime.
It will also provide you info about the socio mix and various other things.
Hope you find it useful.
Browneyedgirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Browneyedgirl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 am

Morning-we bought a 3 bed flat on this road 18 months ago. Tenants have never had any issues, nor have my neighbours some having lived there for years. Visit on a regular basis, like the feel of the street & have never felt it was unsafe, exactly the opposite.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.