Petition for better playground facilities on Clapham Common

39 posts
Smhsmhsmh
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Petition for better playground facilities on Clapham Common

Postby Smhsmhsmh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:03 pm

https://www.change.org/p/better-playgro ... on=minibar

Have just posted the following update on the petition - it is vital that everyone continues to sign and share as widely as possible if we have any chance of getting these much needed renovations.

11 Jan 2017 — Further to our deputation made at the last All Lambeth Council meeting in October 2016, we have received the written response below from one of the Lambeth Council officers. Despite trying to ascertain the details / opportunities that exist in relation to playground renovations and the Capital Parks Programme, we have yet to have any direct correspondence with Cllr Jack Hopkins - who was also not present for our deputation to the council. Efforts are ongoing and with the support of local Conservative Councillors in Clapham Common Ward, we hope to provide a more detailed update in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, please do continue to help raise awareness of the petition and secure signatures - your help, as always, is much appreciated.

“The most recent quarterly safety report for the Windmill play area was carried out on 16th September 2016. A lot of the equipment is old and needs updating therefore renewing this play area is part of the number issues we will be addressing for the next phase of the Capital Parks Programme which is being finalised.

The safety report hasn't flagged anything as requiring immediate action although two items are classified as high risk for which we have a recommended three months to remedy.

The Lambeth Landscapes Team will be assessing these two high risk items which includes repairing the wet pour (flooring trip hazard) and replacing the timber panels on the play equipment.

The area has been checked again on 21 October 2016. The toilets were clean, but we have noted some missing tiles and a blocked urinal, both of which have been referred to the Lambeth Landscapes Team to remedy. The sandpit was clean apart from a few leaves which is inevitable at this time of year.”
Smhsmhsmh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Smhsmhsmh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I have designed a flier to promote this campaign and would like to ask for as many of you as possible to assist in forwarding this to local schools/businesses, getting it up on local noticeboards, delivering it to your neighbours etc. If any of you are willing to help in any way please do get in touch and I will email it over to you. (Unfortunately am unable to add it directly on to this site)
Best Wishes
Sally
actuallyadad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby actuallyadad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Yes this has always annoyed me how rubbish the playgrounds are. I've always said I'd happily contribute to upgrading these facilities for the number of hours the kids spend on them. And given the amount of money people round here have I can't believe I'm the only one. Just think... if half the families who use them contributed the price of one micro scooter I bet all the playgrounds would be fantastic!
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:44 pm

It's the maintenance as much as anything else. The courts at Clapham were new what, 7 years ago? But because from day 1, they were never maintained, despite numerous warnings, the courts now need major works. We tennis coaches proposed a plan some years back, but were ignored yet again. I feel the current attitude of the council staff is that unless you are a cash cow (which we are) they regard any request with a hostile attitude.
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Julian: Lambeth Council care what the councillors think and the councillors care about where the votes are. Go to Brockwell Park and look at the playgrounds there and compare with Clapham Common.

juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Ah yes. Good point.
coolclapham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby coolclapham » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi, I just wondered whether there was any update on this? I was at the Alfriston Road playground this morning (very busy as always), and the sandpit has been removed, but with nothing to replace it and nothing to indicate whether it's temporary or permanent. The ground is still shocking, a mish mash of dirty surfaces with lots of raised edges, which I think are a trip hazard for children. It's a shame as some of the equipment (like the train) is in good condition, but some (like the animal benches by the swings) is in a mess.
Nims
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nims » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Agree with you, it's such a shame about the sandpit and there's no notice of whether this is a temporary or permanent removal. Having read that Lambeth has spent an extortionate amount of money on trade unions, surely they can find the budget to replace the sandpit that has provided joy to many little children - especially now that summer is only round the corner.
Is there any way we can find out for sure? Who from the council is responsible for the upkeep of playgrounds?
Conan the Londoner
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Conan the Londoner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Eh? There are two excellent playgrounds,as well as a skatepark, boating pond and games pitches. Waddya want gold plaited bumper cars?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear da lamentations of da Wimmin.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.