Massive Lambeth Major Works estimate! Anyone else??

4 posts
willpearce
Options:
Share this post on:

Massive Lambeth Major Works estimate! Anyone else??

Postby willpearce » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi
Ive received a huge estimate for my flat in Streatham. The quote is huge for the work that is actually required. Im waiting for my Section 20 notice.
Does anyone else have these huge estimates/ quotes? Looking for advice and other people going through this! In Lambeth or other south London Boroughs.
Many Thanks
Willx
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Massive Lambeth Major Works estimate! Anyone else??

Postby pie81 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi, I haven't had this with Lambeth Council but had a similar experience in my previous place with a private freeholder. They were quoting around double what the works should cost.

Residents banded together and got quotes from other builders (around half the cost) and put those forward to show that the proposed cost was unreasonable. I think at one point I had to threaten to challenge the works legally if they went ahead with their builder. With much reluctance and persuasion the freeholder eventually agreed to use one of our builders.

Good luck!
boonkoh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby boonkoh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 am

Ah, it looks like Lambeth have now extended to Streatham from Brixton/Streatham Hill area. Most leaseholders in this area were served section 21 around Sep last year.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do. The council is following the rules to the letter, and unfortunately, as a leaseholder, you have to pay for the works. It might be inflated prices jn your opinion, but the council will argue that they did go through a tendering process and got the best quote.

My recommendation is fight the works not on the cost, but on the necessity. Get as much scope stripped out from the very rough "estimate". And set aside some money now.
ricbake
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ricbake » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Leaseholders: Register with Leaseholder Council Exec

Dear Fellow Leaseholders and Freeholders

This is important for you in a number of ways, including financially and our ability to communicate.

We are your representative body for all Leasehold (Homeowner) issues including Major Works, Service Charges, Insurance etc elected from Area Forums. You will be aware of the importance of these items involving thousands of pounds of your money. There are a number of current and future major issues affecting you.

Lambeth have agreed to circulate this letter to you: we are asking you to provide us with your email address so we can communicate with you directly.

We urge you, therefore, to:

• email us, the Leasehold (Homeowners) Council Executive, from the address you would like to register with us;
• give us your authority to store your email address and communicate with you;
• with your email your full name and your address

We will not share your information with anyone outside Leasehold Council Executive or the Area Council Executive (if one is formed) and it will be used only for the purpose of communicating with you about Housing or related issues.

Our email address to register with us is: lambethhomeownerschair@gmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Shemi Leira
Chair

Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)1Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)11Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)1Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.