Do you know South Park Gardens, Wimbledon?

8 posts
dailymail
Options:
Share this post on:

Do you know South Park Gardens, Wimbledon?

Postby dailymail » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

RE: NURSERIES / CHILDMINDERS
I've just had an offer accepted on a house in South Park Gardens, Wimbledon (Effra Road) which I'm delighted about, but now I have the problematic situation of moving to an area where I have no nursery place for my 18-month-old.
Does anyone have any personal recommendations of fab full-time day nurseries that are well located for new home/transport links and are worth checking out?
And if the waiting lists are hideous (which they no doubt will be!) does anyone know of any trusted sites like this where I can look into well-located quality childminders/nanny shares.
Thank you in advance for any help. It's genuinely appreciated.
sw11newby
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Do you know South Park Gardens, Wimbledon?

Postby sw11newby » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Hello,
We have just moved to Clapham from South Park Gardens (Florence Road) so my daughter never attended nursery in Wimbledon but I had registered her for a few:

Building Blocks (Dundonald Road) - lovely nursrey and there is a big waiting list but we were offered a few days with a view to gettng on the internal waiting list which moves quicker.

Nurture nursery (Pelham Road) - the manager was lovely when I viewed it but she has since left so I can't say much more other than it is a good location for South Park Gardens, especially if you will be using the Northern Line. They are relatively new and the waiting list is (or ceratinly was) very small.

Wimbledon Day Nursery (Montague Road) - I never viewed this but I used to see a lot of happy children coming and going on my way to and from work. I was contacted earlier this month to say that they had places for September.

There is also Dicky Birds on Quicks Road but I never viewed that.

I'm not sure about nanny sites. My nanny left London but I could put you in touch with some of her nanny friends to see if any of them are free.

Hope this helps
Michelle
MrsMak
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsMak » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi there

We live close to SPG. I looked at a few nurseries in the area a couple of years ago - i ended up choosing one close to work rather than home (mainly due to cost saving) so I don't have any direct experience but can offer my view of visits/research at the time.....

*Eveline on Quicks Road - very professional/safe - not very personal
*Wimbledon Day on Montague Rd - my first choice, resonable fees but long waiting list - friendly & fun - they have since expanded to a 2nd site across the road.
*DickyBirds Queesns Road - v popular but v pricey - very good location for Wimbledon main station and they've recently acquired another site on Florence Road in SPG area.
*Butterflies on Beulah Rd - was just opening but was a nice setting
*PlayDays on Queens Rd - only looked at this when I was getting desperate as it had shorter opening hours (8-6) but was pleasantly surprised.

There's also Crown Kindergarten on Ashcombe Road and the new-ish Nurture Nursery on Pelham Rd but I don't know much about them.

Finally, there's Dees Nursery on Mansel Rd - I wasn't a fan when I went to see it (felt a bit chaotic & disorganised) but for some reason it didn't have much of a waiting list so 2 of my friends sent their 1yr olds there and only moved them out recently (2years later) when they moved out of sw19. It wasn't perfect but their kids were happy there.

I registered for a place at 3 nurseries in the area while I was still pregnant and didn't get offered a full time place at any of them! You may be better off with a childminder or nanny(share).

I don't know of any equivalent local mums websites but the NCT W&W Facebook group is a good place to start for further advice.

Good luck! :)
dailymail
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dailymail » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Thank you for all your help! Appreciated.
PodellaP
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby PodellaP » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello,

Apologies that I've only just seen your post, but I can certainly offer you first hand info re nurseries in Wimbledon! I have lived here for fifteen years, for eight of those with nursery-attending children...

There are quite a few choices for nurseries in SW19, though a couple of these have opened very recently, so i have no working knowledge of them. However, it is fairly well accepted (in terms of trusted parental opinion and also Ofsted inspections) that the best nurseries in Wimbledon are Building Blocks and Dicky Birds. My children have attended both, and whilst they are fairly different in culture and ethos, they are both excellent and i would wholeheartedly recommend both. We still talk of them both fondly in our house, and lots of my friends feel the same!

In Effra Road, you will be very close to the wonderful Dicky Birds, at the top of Queen's Road (a stone's throw from the train station!). My daughter started attending this three days a week in 2005, when she was one, on my initial return to work; it was brand new at this point and beautifully presented (it's in an old Victorian house and has a particularly 'homely' feel to it). She absolutely adored it from day one and definitely benefitted from attending, in terms of quality of care, friendships (me and her!) and academic development with foundation stage learning from age three. There is another Dicky Birds on the other side of Wimbledon, on Dundonald Road, but this will be too far for you and is more of a sessional set -up (ie half days).

My son attended Building Blocks, Kingston Road, two days a week, from age eighteen months. This is a fantastic place (cannot speak highly enough of it), but you will be closer to the bigger Building Blocks building on Dundonald Road (still, not that close to you though - fifteen/twenty mins walk?). It is a very well established, extremely well run nursery, which has excellent standards of care. A lot of kids stay here for years, transferring into the after school club at the Kingston Road site, from school age.

You are also quite close to Playdays, Queen's Road, but I disliked it on viewing (others have said the same) and never gave it serious consideration.

Wimbledon Day Nursery, Montague Road, is also pretty popular (is still quite new) and appears to be well run. It is quite a trek for you though, and going the opposite way to the main train station (close to South Wimb tube).

Unless your preference is a childminder or nanny, I would strongly recommend you visit Dicky Birds, Queen's Road and get on the waiting list - it is scarily long though, but don't be put off. Keep ringing them every month to find out where you are on the list and make sure they know your face!

Good luck! You will love living in South Park Gardens area :-) You will be close to good primary schools too, ie Priory and Holy Trinity. A great spot for families!

Claire P

CHT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CHT » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi, depending on when you need a place, you might need to take a two pronged approach of finding a) a nursery with a space; and b) the nursery you want to use in the long term. Ring round lots of nurseries and enquire about current waiting lists to see what is feasible. A couple of nurseries wouldn't even put me on the list to visit eight months ahead of when I needed the space, their waiting lists for a place were so long!

In addition to the comments above I'd say:

There's a new Bright Horizons opened last month on Merton Road (by the tram line), which might well still have space

Willows Pre-School at Wilton Crescent is lovely, but tends to take in new entrants at the start of the school year only

Nurture on Pelham Road is really lovely, great staff and they do lots with the children.

Wimbledon Day Nursery has lots of loyal supporters, but their policy of giving preference to siblings means it's almost impossible to get a foot in the door post pregnancy (seriously!)

Apart from NVN, I have found childcare through www.*********

Welcome tom the neighbourhood!
CHT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CHT » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 pm

I should have said: childcare dot co dot uk
waleeed12
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby waleeed12 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:05 pm

There are quite a few choices for nurseries in SW19, though a couple of these have opened very recently, so i have no working knowledge of them. However, it is fairly well accepted (in terms of trusted parental opinion and also Ofsted inspections) that the best nurseries in Wimbledon are Building Blocks and Dicky Birds. My children have attended both, and whilst they are fairly different in culture and ethos, they are both excellent and i would wholeheartedly recommend both. We still talk of them both fondly in our house, and lots of my friends feel the same!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.