Made redundant on maternity leave?

Chat with other mums in NappyValley here!
  • Author
    Message
Batsneedfriends
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby Batsneedfriends » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Anyone else listening to R4 right now? Ppls' experience of redundancy. Outrageous.

izzye789
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby izzye789 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm

my daughter was made redundant while on maternity leave.she was a nanny to a family who both worked for goldman sacks bank and didnt give a damn she was on contract. they didnt want to pay up.she did give her a months money but should have been 8 months.didnt want to take it further due to there jobs.they would have won anyway.

Scottov
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby Scottov » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

luvnyrick wrote:my daughter was made redundant while on maternity leave.she was a nanny to a family who both worked for goldman sacks bank and didnt give a damn she was on contract. they didnt want to pay up.she did give her a months money but should have been 8 months.didnt want to take it further due to there jobs.they would have won anyway.


Um, maternity leave is not 9 months paid

clapset
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:46 am
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby clapset » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Cut & Paste smily face ... what does "Um, maternity leave is not 9 months paid mean"? Maternity leave is either statutory or what is written in your employment contract - if for instance it is enhanced - 9 months paid is easy peesey lemon squeezey.

None of the information provide gives you the ability to understand what has happened or provide a legal view. It doesn't even sound like a redundancy situation. The suggestion is that the person was on a 9 month fixed contract ... either way - when did it happen and what were the terms (i.e. termination rights) - more details needed... feel free to email me direct luvnyrck and I might be able to help you turn these sachs fellows upside down and shake a few quid out of their pockets ... but do it quick in case your daughter is time barred and let us know if she signed anything waiving her rights

White Knights
Corner of Jackson and Colombus, SF

Scottov
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby Scottov » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 pm

clapset wrote:Cut & Paste smily face ... what does "Um, maternity leave is not 9 months paid mean"? Maternity leave is either statutory or what is written in your employment contract - if for instance it is enhanced - 9 months paid is easy peesey lemon squeezey.

None of the information provide gives you the ability to understand what has happened or provide a legal view. It doesn't even sound like a redundancy situation. The suggestion is that the person was on a 9 month fixed contract ... either way - when did it happen and what were the terms (i.e. termination rights) - more details needed... feel free to email me direct luvnyrck and I might be able to help you turn these sachs fellows upside down and shake a few quid out of their pockets ... but do it quick in case your daughter is time barred and let us know if she signed anything waiving her rights

White Knights
Corner of Jackson and Colombus, SF


I think she absolutely should engage your legal services and if you wouldn't mind keep us all informed of your progress.

Please do not leave anything out.

Mamatina
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby Mamatina » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm

This has happened to me. The best thing to do is get a lawyer for employment law not any other lawyer. I was up against some very high profile people who had millions of money to back them however i had some lawyer friends who helped me and even they said get someone who specialises in employment law. It was very satisfactory to see how the other parties lawayers made mistake after mistake even though they get paid 400 plus pounds an hour and i had someone pro bono back me. We won i got exactly what was legally mine.

If you would like any advise in box me- i found the whole process straining exhausting and it really got to me - when i look back at it now - what hurts the most is that because i was often upset and stressed it reflected on what should have been the best time in my life - but am happy i did it we can not let people get away with things like that it is the 21 century and women should not be punished for having children!!!!!!!

Scottov
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby Scottov » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Mamatina wrote:This has happened to me. The best thing to do is get a lawyer for employment law not any other lawyer. I was up against some very high profile people who had millions of money to back them however i had some lawyer friends who helped me and even they said get someone who specialises in employment law. It was very satisfactory to see how the other parties lawayers made mistake after mistake even though they get paid 400 plus pounds an hour and i had someone pro bono back me. We won i got exactly what was legally mine.

If you would like any advise in box me- i found the whole process straining exhausting and it really got to me - when i look back at it now - what hurts the most is that because i was often upset and stressed it reflected on what should have been the best time in my life - but am happy i did it we can not let people get away with things like that it is the 21 century and women should not be punished for having children!!!!!!!


could you explain more about what you mean?

there is nothing illegal about making someone redundant when on maternity leave, but it is true there is a process to be followed.

were you successful in proving that the role had not been made redundant, or getting some further form of compensation?

BL99
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:23 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby BL99 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Hello,

This has also happened to me last summer and I agree that it can be a very stressful time. I would recommend having a look at the ACAS website as they have some useful information relating to various redundancy scenarios. I had to enlist the help of an employment lawyer and my former employer refunded the costs. Please do PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Good luck!

izzye789
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm
 
 
Share this post on:

Re: Made redundant on maternity leave?

Postby izzye789 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:17 pm

its far to late for my daughter to do anything now this was 6 years ago.we didnt think there was anything we could have done due to the family being so well off. thanks to you all


Return to “Chat Here”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests