Reading Advice

2 posts
ready2pop
Options:
Share this post on:

Reading Advice

Postby ready2pop » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Largely thanks to his fantastic preschool, my 4 year old is able to read pretty well.

He's just started reception and, understandably, they are still in the process of working out what level the kids are all at and focusing on teaching the basic phonic sounds for those who don't know them yet.

However, he is pretty keen to read himself and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good series of books or a website with good advice for parents on early reading.

I'm clueless on the whole phonics system and national curriculum banding but to give you some idea of the level his current favourite book is Flat Stanley which he is able to read pretty much unaided.

I don't want to be a pushy parent (and he is frankly atrocious at writing so by no means a genius ;) ) but am keen to keep his interest in reading up while the school gets on top of who can do what.

Thanks!
dandelion53
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Reading Advice

Postby dandelion53 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:14 am

The oxford reading tree website - oxford owl has e-books. And there are 2 subscription websites called Reading Eggs, which is online I think, and Reading Chest, where they send you books - a bit like LoveFilm kind of thing.
You could look in your local library? Or buy second-hand on Ebay - I've seen alot of reading scheme books on there...

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.