As we’re all painfully aware all the big energy companies are putting up their fuel prices by as much as 11%. That coincides with temperatures falling fast and experts predicting the coldest winter since 1947. Time to be thinking about how to keep costs down.
A large amount of heat loss from the home goes straight out of the windows. Ill-fitting, rattly and draughty old windows are very thermally inefficient. And while everyone knows that double glazing is warmer than single, there’s a world of difference between average double glazing and the best in class.
The benefits of energy-efficient windows
- Lower bills – according to the Energy Saving Trust replacing all single-glazed windows with B-rated double glazing could save you around £170 on your energy bills. Here’s a calculator
that you can use to work out just how much you could save. There’s also a lower carbon footprint; typically, 680kg less CO2 is generated.
- Comfort – fewer draughts and cold spots – particularly important for mums with young children.
- Peace and quiet – the best new windows give superb protection from outside noises.
- Reduced condensation – energy efficient glazing reduces condensation build up on the inside of windows.
The best energy-efficient windows
- Are made of high quality timber – they won’t warp or distort to leave gaps
- Around two thirds of the heat lost from a standard window is through the glass. The best windows use low emissivity (Low-E) glass and have an unnoticeable coating of metal oxide to cut how much heat can escape.
- Very efficient windows have the gap between the glazing panels filled with a gas such as argon or xenon.
- Aluminium pane spacers – set around the inside edges to hold the glass – let out heat. Look for “warm edge” foam spacers.
Come and see for yourself
- Nappy Valley members are especially welcome at Ayrton Bespoke’s Wandsworth showroom, where they’ll be given some extremely good coffee and shown what makes a great window or door. The address is 406 Merton Road, SW18 5AD
- Or contact Ayrton to arrange a free, no obligation home design visit. Call 0208 877 8920, or visit www.ayrtonbespoke.com
Think about shutters
- Shutters can add the perfect finishing touch to your windows. They look great, and are a chic alternative to curtains and blinds. Ayrton works only with the New England Shutter Company who make superb wooden shutters in a wide variety of traditional and contemporary styles.
Special discount for Nappy Valley members!
- Ayrton is pleased to offer a discount of 15% off all orders placed by the end of January, 2014