horses for...

11 posts
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

horses for...

Postby rooting4tooting » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Our daughters have got the horse bug, but we've no idea what's what, so can you help?
I've enquired at two local inner city farms and one equestrian centre. The prices are very similar, so its not how much, but how good.
We are not looking to own a horse, but have lessons.
Can anybody offer recommendations please?
thanks in anticipation.
BFW
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: horses for...

Postby BFW » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Try Ridgeway stables in wimbledon, stag lodge in Richmond (a bit more stuffy in my opinion!) or the Dulwich riding school .

We started off at Ridgeway which is lovely! But they don't have a riding school (they learn on the common) so after a year or so we moved to Dulwich.
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pud1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Or Dean City Farm.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:50 pm

thanks for your help. I'll visit Dulwich and probably research more SE london as that seems the centre of London's horseculture.
But any other recommendations would be most welcome
Minnie
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Minnie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:09 pm

I do private lessons at Stag Lodge and it's amazing, not 'stuffy' at all and infact very down to earth!

Didn't have a great experience at Dulwich. Lots of young, unconfident kids teaching.

AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:17 am

I agree with previous poster re Dulwich being filled with young girls, however it is exactly the sort of place that I first learned to ride at when I was a kid. I remember that I used to love being taught by young girls and I really aspired to be like them and have their knowledge and one day teach there myself.

If I was learning as an adult I wouldn't go to Dulwich, but for young girls I think it's perfect.
Mills1234
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mills1234 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:15 am

Vauxhall City Farm had a surprisingly good chap teaching the children last year. They've a handful of ponies and an all weather school, so would be grand for lessons. Obviously they don't have open park/common land but most riding schools out of London don't, and you could always start there and try somewhere else if you want more variety. I think they've a pony club branch there too. Great hobby for them to have!

I think there is a school in Brixton also.
BFW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BFW » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:10 am

AbervilleMummy exactly what I thought when I first went ! It reminds me of where i learnt how to ride - a bit chaotic and disorganised but perfect for young girls wanting to learn!

The only problem I found with StagLodge is that they make you have 10 lesson on the leading rain - my daughter had already been riding for a year when we went there and she really did not need 10 lesson on the leading rain but they were unmovable on this point. Perhaps something to do with their insurance?

Good luck - as Mills says it such a great hobby to have (if a bit expensive!!!)
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:38 pm

looks like Dulwich will be visited. I really appreciate your advice.

swan158
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby swan158 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Another vote for Ridgway stables in Wimbledon. I learnt to ride there and it's more fun than learning in a riding school IMO as you are learning to ride on the common so not just trotting round in circles.
Reflexologymum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Reflexologymum » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi
My daughter rode at Ridgeway Stables from the age of 6-8. She is now 13 and has been riding at Deen City Farm for the last 5 years. I think both stables are great, however she has definitely acquired better technical skills at DCF as they are taught in an arena as opposed to having a more of a 'hack' style lesson on Wimbledon Common. In the long term DCF works out a bit cheaper, allowing additional hacks to be had elsewhere.
Hope this helps!

Trudy
www.wandsworthreflexology.co.uk

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.