Retractable electric awnings

5 posts
Stripyshirt
Options:
Share this post on:

Retractable electric awnings

Postby Stripyshirt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi we have a south facing kitchen opening out onto our garden with bifold doors. The kitchen can get unbearably hot in the summer with all the sunlight streaming through the bifolds and i’m wondering if a possible solution is to get electric retractable awnings to provide some shade outside and hopefully block a lot of the sunlight coming in. Does anyone have experience of installing awnings for similar reasons? And/or recommendations of companies people have used? Thanks so much!
cookie19
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Retractable electric awnings

Postby cookie19 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:26 pm

DEANS BLINDS installed one for us last February. Local company whose office is/used to be in Earlsfield. Great product and easier installation than I expected.

Pretty quick order to installation timing... 4-6 weeks I think.

We had a Weiner Cassitta fold away sunblind installed. But its similar to the Markilux 990 if you are googling photos.
I found one on pinterest.
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/248964685629358598/

Hope that helps.
Ensoul.co.uk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ensoul.co.uk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 am

Hi, just a thought, we have bought a really good large (3M square) parasol for clients with similar problems https://www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/prod ... over-offer

I know it's a very different solution and not as convenient, however, it is a lot cheaper, very stable and the quality is very good. Hope this helps, Mike
supermaman
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supermaman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi,

We had the exact same problem. Great exposure but the kitchen could turn into a sauna or we could have the sun in our eyes when sitting inside at the dinner table.

So we installed an electric awning and haven't looked back.
We used Patio Awnings by Conservatory Blinds Ltd.
http://www.conservatoryblinds.co.uk/bli ... ry-Blinds/

It was a very straightforward process. I selected them on the basis of value for money and their knowledge of the different models etc. The guy who came for the quote was an ex-structural surveyor so he knew the weight the wall/side return could bear. He could also advise on additional brackets that needed to be fitted around the gutter etc. He was clear on how the electric side of things would work. He could also explain the different features of the various models. Other companies who came to quote only had one model so difficult to know if it would be a good fit and only seemed interested in showing me the fabric samples.

For info, we opted for:
- a remote controlled awning. I think we use it more often because we don't have to go outside to open/close it.
- a wind sensor which is quite good on windy days

Good luck in your search.
Stripyshirt
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Stripyshirt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you all so much for your really helpful replies - it sounds like retractable electric awnings are the way to go!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.